I recently visited the laser tag game Quasar Elite with my children. It is located at 22 Cranbrook Street. Now as someone with interest in Nottingham's history and buildings, this one has skipped my radar. 

The game itself is located underground 22 Cranbrook Street and looks not like a cave but brick. Seems very strange and I asked the owner what these underground vaults used to be. He didn't have any clue on the history so thought I would ask on here. 

Does anyone know what 22 Cranbrook Street actually was and what were these underground cellars / vaults used for? It is a fascinating place and I recommend a visit to anyone interested in old buildings!

Thanks!

I don't think the building itself is all that old , if I remember correctly at one time it was a Brown Brothers Wholesale depot. I hadn't realised there are caves under the building though.

This is the building. It's underneath where these vaults / cellars are. Almost looks like an old cellar but much larger. 

Image may contain: outdoor

It certainly looks like a garage type building for sure. It was what was underneath that intrigued me more than anything. It was quite a vast area which is now taken up with various modern things to make it look like a laser quest game but the original area was made of brick (I think) so led me to believe it was more of a cellar but being so large, it made me wonder what it would have been. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

my cousins shop 'Dens'.

Would that be Deny's shop near the bottom of Sneinton road Ian?

Rog

• Like 1

You posted a picture a couple of days ago about a garage (now a tyre place) near the bottom of Sneinton road, in the pic is Deny's shop,next door to the garage,I knew Den back in the late sixties when I was apprentice in that garage,used to service his cars, a MG BGT, E type jaguar and for a runabout a mini counrtyman, nice jolly bloke, small world

Rog

Edit, Any relation to the Staniforths of Frinton road Broxtowe?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Looking towards Cranbrook Street.50837.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg

That shop at the bottom on the right by the Cortina was an Aladdin's cave of hardware and tools. Gillotts. I bought my bench vice from there in 1980ish. In the window there was a large  electrically-driven model of a Swiss army knife with all the accessories opening and closing. They also had a branch top of St Peters street which also sold cutlery.

• Like 3

Mr Elliot used to come to the garage I worked at for his petrol, he used to drive an old car,maybe a big Sunbeam or similar, he always used to dip his petrol tank with a wooden stick and let you know how much petrol he needed,nice old fella he was

Rog

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi I worked there in the 70s it was a tyre fitting garage and paint store my dad was the manager the back of the building underneath was used for storing paint and the main basement was used for storing tyres there was a hand operated lift hope this helps 

Mick 1957mickgee@gmail.com 

I was looking where the place is - and it's here.....https://goo.gl/maps/uL1giHCtQ8JyF2bK7   It's very different to what was there in the early 20th century.

The numbering is odd in that location. Quaser Elite is number 22 Cranbrook Street. But the houses on the other side of the road are also even numbers, 32 - 38.

From Traffweb the numbering looks like the houses are possibly addressed as Brightmoor Court or even Brightmoor St.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9545022,-1.1423438,3a,60y,138.17h,85.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIx2Q3JA7I9VKxC5y8jScLQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Bet it's fun for Couriers, no where to park and no certainty on what house / flat is where.
Post-persons won't have a problems tho.

And from Britain Above 1937, using that corner house as a reference it looks like no, 22 Quaser, formerly tyre sales may have been developed over the cellars of the remaining houses.

oNVoN8o.png

hTf4hSn.png

• Like 1