Trinity Square Over The Years

I remember the church...and the Mechanics Institute where I used to play snooker.Anyone remember Bob Patchett the tailor on the town side of the square?...Cracking name for a tailor eh??

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's been noticed before by several people. We might start introducing a bit of fake news to see what happens.

Posted Images

• 6 years later...

It is a very useful cut through I would agree, plenty of footfall. Agree that there is an amount of food overkill in that area (and in general around the city).

Perhaps 'Hoffs' concept of 'healthy' fast food was a fatally flawed one.

Sat down for fish and chips in there recently. Good old standby and can report very good still!

It has a lot of competition around there generally but there are few chip shops in town these days, Struggle to think of them. St James Street, not sure if the other Forman Street one is now open? Where are the others?

No Stu I think,whatever is put in front of us..we'll have!

Ever noticed in a newsagents.. entire rows and cabinets filled with sugary drinks..used to be magazines and papers,here.ten types of Coca Cola etc..if they took them away tomorrow and left say...a choice of 5- would there be public outcry??..don't think so.

Its people who run kebab and halal chicken places..' Pool' family money..something white westerners are not inclined to do..they buy expensive leases in Nottm City centre and provide mainly one type of food..mainly tailored around their religious beliefs..all well and good..but try and get a fritter or a pot of peas after a skin full!!

Don't see that with Greeks and Italians.. they cook superb food..no doctrine at all..other than " Mama's way".

A lot of people fail to see the culture is slipping away!!

I won't get into culture and religious beliefs etc but I hear you.

I do think that often the fare at fish and chip shops is nothing like the quality it used to be. It's relatively much more expensive than it used to be for a fish supper too. It's no longer an inexpensive meal.

In general, I often fancy the idea of fish and chips but am often underwhelmed by them when I have them here.

I do prefer a chip supper when I'm in Scotland with good old Edinburgh chippy sauce lathered on it!

Have you had chippy sauce, Ian?

Just thinking about the spread of takeaways with a mile or two of where I live in the suburbs, fish and chip shops still outnumber any other kind of food I think possibly.

I had mates in Kirkcaldy, so if it was brown sauce only..with salt..I have!! Always had a great affinity with all things Scottish, especially football,grub and music.I was conceived in Edinburgh.. hence my name..I wondered though why its spelt the sassenach way? Had my haggis on order for 3 weeks!!

The islands up there are great..and the people.

Good stuff, Ian!

You'l probably know that 'salt and sauce' (as opposed to salt and vinegar) is preferred in Edinburgh and some other parts of the east of Scotland.

Most chippies have their own recipe for the 'sauce'. It's not exactly brown sauce - much runnier - and is usually a mix of Gold Star brown sauce and vinegar - lovely stuff!

I'm struggling to get my head around the idea that life was in anyway better when all we had was chip shops. Maybe our tastes have moved on from the days when prawn cocktail, steak and chips and black forest gateau was considered a posh meal, unbelievable that it ever was. I'd walk past many a chip shop to get to a tapas bar, curry house pizzeria or kebab shop. It has nothing to do with other religions or beliefs and everything to do with the fact that most people have now been further than Skegness for their holidays and discovered that foreign food is, in many cases, far more interesting than our own.

Probably why every second person I see in Nottm is fat!! eating processed muck!! Careful about Skeggy ..Epton's grub is top notch!

BTW I've ate fried snake in the Everglades.. doesn't mean I want snake bars everywhere!!

Even when I lived in the Medders, I never considered the prawn cocktail/steakand chips/black forest gateau posh, merely the best option if you went for a Berni. I'm happy to say I still like great fish and chips, even if it somehow suggests I'm still living in the gastronomic dark ages.

Probably why every second person I see in Nottm is fat!! eating processed muck!!

Take it you're being light-hearted, Ian?

People want choice and they have that now more than they ever have. You can't 'unsee' new things, nor would you want to once you have a taste for them. Witness your mention of Italian and Greek food!

I don't really think the country is being infiltrated by stealth via the extermination of it's chip shops either, mate!

People will buy and eat what they want. As our friend Mr Clough was want to say in another context, 'You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding every day and twice on Sunday'. :)