Trinity Square Over The Years

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi, on the subject of Bob Patchett the tailors I know it wasn’t Bob’s son who kept it going. It was actually my Uncle Peter Cross. Peter was Bobs apprentice and he purchased the business in the early

Where was the L-Shaped Room ?   I certainly never went in it (not old enough) but I don't think anyone has mentioned its actual location.   EDIT I've answered my own question,

Trinity square was always the starting point for trips into town  on alighting a  number 6..17,,or 28 bus........i remember the Trinity church and graveyard and was sorry to see it go..even digging up

Posted Images

I recall a similar scene where the church was being demolished, how long ago was that, can anyone recall??

• 1 month later...

:Friends: I too remember the church only just thou...

B) Regarding when was it demolished that would be circa 1957/58

Yes it would be about that, the new 'Holy Trinity Church' which replaced it was built on the top junction of Farnborough Road/Southchurch Drive in Clifton, I got married there in 1976, can remember it as though it were yesterday - if it was tomorrow, I wouldn't go!

:Friends: I too remember the church only just thou...

B) Regarding when was it demolished that would be circa 1957/58

I thought it was later than that Den, I do recall there was a stink about it as the church had been there for a very long time, probably before the area was built up the way we knew it. The cemetary had to be relocated, every grave moved according to cannon law!

Just googled the church, yep your right Den , late 50's, was around a fair while too. Loads of info on the subject out there..

• 5 months later...
Anyone know what is to be built in its place?

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob

The Corner House now stands in this photo. I took it about 2/3 years ago from the low roof of the Newton Building

http://www.cornerhouse.tv/index.asp?fdv=1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As said previously its Currys now. The guy whos the manager there was a colleague of mine when we were both young lads at Dixons on King st in Nottingham. One day ill tell you the story of some cling film, a removed light bulb, and the ladies toilet there! !tony!

Dixons in Ilkeston is now Currys who took Dixons over. It is near the top of Bath Street. ;)

Currys didnt take Dixons over, they were both part of DSG, as is woolworth ( or were) and PC World. They merely decided they needed a change of strategy as far as "branding" was concerned.

• 11 months later...

We will just have to leave little clues for them then won't we ???

I have disarmed your link Beefy....your photoBucket account was open to the public, whether or not you were aware of it I don't know but I thought it better it was closed. you never know who maybe looking at pictures of your children. I for one!

[/i][/b]

Bip.

• 2 months later...
I did find an image of Trinity Square Before the car park was built

Trinity Square 1952

trinitysquare1952.jpg

copyright www.picturethepast.org.uk

hey guys, that photo brings back a few memories, especially as some of the graves that were exhumed were plague victims. placed in that churchyard because it was considered far enough away from the castle gates.

like the site by the way.

Orcada.

hey guys, that photo brings back a few memories, especially as some of the graves that were exhumed were plague victims. placed in that churchyard because it was considered far enough away from the castle gates.

like the site by the way.

Orcada.

Interesting.

Yes it was built by members like you !cheers!

Hang around, enjoy, and leave us some more stuff like that

It says at the bottom of the text that Sam Ward was the DJ.

Never a patch on his elder brother , Mergancy.

• 11 months later...

I remember the church...and the Mechanics Institute where I used to play snooker.Anyone remember Bob Patchett the tailor on the town side of the square?...Cracking name for a tailor eh??