Trinity Square Over The Years

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi, on the subject of Bob Patchett the tailors I know it wasn’t Bob’s son who kept it going. It was actually my Uncle Peter Cross. Peter was Bobs apprentice and he purchased the business in the early

Where was the L-Shaped Room ?   I certainly never went in it (not old enough) but I don't think anyone has mentioned its actual location.   EDIT I've answered my own question,

Trinity square was always the starting point for trips into town  on alighting a  number 6..17,,or 28 bus........i remember the Trinity church and graveyard and was sorry to see it go..even digging up

Posted Images

#65. Alexanda, a word of warning  ..... Geo. Akins Snr is still alive, be careful what you say, whether assumptions or fact.  Nottstalgia can be read by anyone in the World.  I've been guilty of mentioning a   living person's name on here and got a dressing down for my 'innocent' comment. 

Thanks yes you are correct that is why I did say i was not  implying he was involved in any card games

and I did say  "I myself" used to know of card games that went on around Nottingham which if you put 2+2 together = customers for legalised gambeling establishments

(Not that i am implying he was involved)

I could have put it better

I shall clarify I ment that he built legal licensed premises where before there wasnt any so people could gamble legally

I never implyed he was runing ilegal gambleing.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:43 AM, Alexanda said:

Hi from what I remember not sure exactly memory not so great nowadys hehe . Yes I think bob patcett became the opticians the frontage was alot different when it was bobs. Bobs son I think he may still be running his fathers buisness they moved to chappel bar I think but that was 2004 if I remember rightly not sure if he is still there I do remember my father telling me it was bob`s son and it was a tailors I think it was chappel bar or somewhere near there.

As for the amusement arcade From what i think I remember my father told me it was either a cafe or small resturant but I think he said cafe. My father  wanted to buy it, to expand the Moulin Rouge as its not very big its long but narrow building but the then owner of the Moulin Rouge Andrew Petsas poured water over the idea so it was empty for a short while.

Then an American amusment owner I forgot his name ill update when I remember his name bought it as part of his global empire.

The day it opened it was opened by Diana Dors the actress.who cut the ribbon. She then came into the Moulin Rouge for unschedueld dinner she signed a book she was selling I still have it. :)

Hello Alexandra many thanks for sharing your memory of Diana Dors. I run the project "Re-Introducing Diana Dors" and always enjoy hearing the stories of Diana Dors many visit's to Nottingham. I've a few signed items relating to her opening Barry Noble's amusement arcades, aswell as a photograph of her opening an amusement arcade in Clifton circa 1979.

• 1 year later...
On 18/09/2016 at 11:02 PM, Alexanda said:

I remember Bob Patchett as it was just a couple of doors up from the Moulin Rouge My father had a few suits tailored by him he used to eat sometimes  in the Moulin Rouge

I had a suit made by Bob Patchett. I was given a suit length of mohair suit* fabric (I was in the textile trade at the time) and I took it to Patchett to be made up. Tiny little shop and I remember there were two working there - one with only one arm. I don't know how but he did all the measuring.

That suit was the best one I have ever had and it served me well for a very long time.

*Not the hairy, fluffy knitted stuff that most people associate with mohair.

Mention of Herberts. I am still trying to find a picture or something of my Rover when John Herbert had it. I can imagine a picture of it parked on Trinity Square somewhere. Here it is at a Wollaton Park Autokarna before I had it.  I remember his shop well when it was on Trinity Square. It is now on Wheeler Gate.

2cii9v4.jpg

• Like 1

Its not just your Dad that called them a poor mans Rolls-Royce. It was Rovers reputation going back to the 30's.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Did we search before Malcolm..we found one ages ago...but wrong Rover.. it was a cyclops..which your beauty ain't!

Beauty mine isn't at the moment. It is waiting for an engine rebuild which it will get this year. It had a heavy bang on its o/s back wing while John Herbert had it and it was never properly repaired. Jack Hopewell at West Bridgford were responsible for the repairs and they did one god almighty bodge up! And charged him for it.

• Like 1

There’s a very nice Rover 60, 1958, for sale at Sherwood Restorations in Southwell near to me. £13,995. They can be a bit expensive there but might be worth a look just out of curiosity. The only Rover I ever had was a 3 litre SD1. I saw it a few years after I’d changed it and it was a complete rust bucket.

• Like 1

Has one of too too although not the coupe verson, had an after market blue perspex sun roof. It was always a swine to start.

20 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Beauty mine isn't at the moment. It is waiting for an engine rebuild which it will get this year. It had a heavy bang on its o/s back wing while John Herbert had it and it was never properly repaired. Jack Hopewell at West Bridgford were responsible for the repairs and they did one god almighty bodge up! And charged him for it.

Here is the receipt relating to the above bodge. £140 was probably a lot of money then especially considering the size of the bodge up!

scak28.jpg

• Like 1

I knew Jack Hopewell’s quite well. They looked after our company’s Jags and could obtain them new when they were difficult to source. They drove one off the ramp with the door open and ripped it right off! They serviced a car for me and I found various tools left under the bonnet which I returned, much to their embarrassment.

42 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

An uncle of mine worked at the Welbeck before the war. We do have a pair of rather nice etched glass decanters that came from there and I do recollect some old knifes and forks with WH on the handles!

Our Ben obviously didn't work at The Welbeck! Might have been embarrassing for your uncle if he had! :blink:

• Upvote 1

There were a very nice set of hugh wall to ceiling mirrors in the Welbeck dining room . George Akins bought them at the Welbeck disposal sale and they adorned the rear wall of the Victoria Club dining room. I don’t know if they or the Victoria Club are still there.

I can remember Trinity Church before it was demolished and thought it was an imposing building even then.

A few years ago I brought a MGB roadster from Sherwood Restorations, the cars are a bit expensive but they are of good quality and the service from the garage is second to none. The wife said I was going through a midlife crisis, my son and grandson called me a born again boy racer as I loved getting the back end sliding around traffic islands. I had to sell it in the end as the only way I could get out of it was  open the door and roll out onto the ground , then haul myself onto my feet using the side of the car.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The only Rover I ever had was a 3 litre SD1. I saw it a few years after I’d changed it and it was a complete rust bucket.

Phill, do you mean the 3.5 litre sd1? They didn't do a 3 ltr!. They did a 2.3, 2.6 and a 3.5 v8.

14 minutes ago, trogg said:

I can remember Trinity Church before it was demolished and thought it was an imposing building even then.

A few years ago I brought a MGB roadster from Sherwood Restorations, the cars are a bit expensive but they are of good quality and the service from the garage is second to none. The wife said I was going through a midlife crisis, my son and grandson called me a born again boy racer as I loved getting the back end sliding around traffic islands. I had to sell it in the end as the only way I could get out of it was  open the door and roll out onto the ground , then haul myself onto my feet using the side of the car.

That’s why I sold the Lotus. Very embarrassing to have to crawl out on my hands and knees. Hardly the image for a sports car driver! smile2

• Like 1