Trinity Square Over The Years

10 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

the scrappy of Hayden Road 

Was that Gibsons NBL?  I went out with his son for a while, he used to pick me up in his Dad’s jag, it impressed an Arnold girl smile2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi, on the subject of Bob Patchett the tailors I know it wasn’t Bob’s son who kept it going. It was actually my Uncle Peter Cross. Peter was Bobs apprentice and he purchased the business in the early

Where was the L-Shaped Room ?   I certainly never went in it (not old enough) but I don't think anyone has mentioned its actual location.   EDIT I've answered my own question,

Trinity square was always the starting point for trips into town  on alighting a  number 6..17,,or 28 bus........i remember the Trinity church and graveyard and was sorry to see it go..even digging up

Posted Images

I’m going back nearly 50 years ago, and never went to the yard but yes that’s where it was I’m certain.  They lived in a very nice property in Widmerpool with a lot of acres, horses, resident groom. I remember looking across the countryside and seeing about 5 power stations in the distance!  It was there that I watched colour TV for the first time so it was probably about 1967.  His dad was a big gambler and another lasting memory was seeing piles of gambling chips on the sideboard.  As I said, this Arnold girl was impressed!  

They had been at that site some time and as a New Basford lad I used them for my scrap. The Welbeck would have been demolished sometime mid 70s they made a killing there. A lot of folk had assumed the screwed pipe they were looking at was galvanised steel and priced accordingly as screwed 20 thread was very unusual. This man checked and knew it was 20 thread copper with a scrap value at the time at least 25 times that of galv steel, the strip out team arrived on site with enough men to guard the lorry and its load whilst the rest did the stripping.

I could only watch and ...................drool.

21 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Was that Gibsons NBL?  I went out with his son for a while, he used to pick me up in his Dad’s jag, it impressed an Arnold girl smile2

I knew Chris Gibson quite well. Gibson Waste dealt with our skips and Chris was a hands on sort of bloke. He was driving a Daimler at the time and he was invited to Mann Egerton, the Jag dealership, for an open evening. Chris looked a bit scruffy. He was looking at a car when a salesman came over and said ‘do you think you can afford this sir?’. Chris said ‘I can afford to buy every bloody car in the showroom and take you on as my chauffeur!’ He could as well! I believe he retired to live in Jersey where you had to prove you were of substantial worth to be able to buy a property.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, radfordred said:

this Andy Smart who writes all these must be a member on here? He gets all his stuff from here?

That's been noticed before by several people. We might start introducing a bit of fake news to see what happens.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

That's been noticed before by several people. We might start introducing a bit of fake news to see what happens.

From what I've seen in the excerpts of NEP on here, there is already fake news being fed to them. I have noticed (and remarked on) several instances of errors being stated as historical facts.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

hi, on the subject of Bob Patchett the tailors I know it wasn’t Bob’s son who kept it going. It was actually my Uncle Peter Cross. Peter was Bobs apprentice and he purchased the business in the early eighties when Bob retired. An amazing fact about Mr Patchett is that he only had one arm. Yes he was a one armed bespoke tailor.  Although a lot of people thought Peter was Bob’s son, they were not related. I know this information because from 1985 until 1988 I was actually Peter’s apprentice and I stood at the shop door looking onto Trinity Square on many a rainy afternoon. I also sat crossed legged on a work bench in the workshop above the shop sewing for hours on end. In early 1989 Peter sold the shop and as you said he reopened the business on chapel bar in Nottingham. Peter is still alive and well and he now lives in the Philippines. He is 77 years old now. I’m in my early 50’s. I’m no longer in the Tailoring Trade but I do do all the sewing at home.  One thing I do remember is the day we had the shop re-sign written in the famous green with gold old English lettering. Thanks for bringing such wonderful memories back to me. Although I’m no longer a tailor I still love and appreciate a nice well fitted suit. 

• Like 5

Trinity square was always the starting point for trips into town  on alighting a  number 6..17,,or 28 bus........i remember the Trinity church and graveyard and was sorry to see it go..even digging up the dead......Its still my starting point today..as i park in that Car park........i recall two shops from back in the 50s and 60s...Will Hill the Tailors and a small chemist  type shop where a big bloke in a white overall always served me with  ''Something for the weekend''

Then going up Foreman street on the right was the offices of our local Papers.....My then 'Fiance's Dad worked in the office there at the same time as Tommy Lawton worked for em...

Further up on the left was the Empire cafe where my Grandma used to take me for some dinner...then on the corner was the Peach Tree pub......where i met (well stood near him when ordering a Pint) David Whitfield.......also saw Mike Winters waiting for someone on the corner............and an ex girlfriend hand in hand with 'Flip Le Flem''...........i was gutted..........

So many memories of a very small area of our beloved City.........

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Shaun,

Must admit, I know bugger about tailoring but it's always nice to hear from a new member. More power to your elbow (or sewing arm).

• Like 1

I don't remember the church; that had gone before my time, but I just remember the site being a waste-land car park before the multi-storey was built.

My other memory is getting a bus from Trinity Square to visit my aunts (who used to live on Garden St) who had moved to a flat on the newly-built Bestwood Park estate.

CT thats twice in one posting you have reminded me of my age. I can recall the church on Trinity Square very clearly and I use to roam the fields where Bestwood Park Estate is now built, memories of a misspent youth. I feel sad for the kids of today that will not be able to experience the pleasure of all those acres of open country side.

• Like 1