Trinity Square Over The Years

I remember the church in Trinity Square. BSM used to park their driving school cars alongside when I took my test in 1960. The fields where the estate is used to form part of our long cross country course when I was at Mellish. One foolish boy peed on an electric fence in those fields and got the shock of his life!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi, on the subject of Bob Patchett the tailors I know it wasn’t Bob’s son who kept it going. It was actually my Uncle Peter Cross. Peter was Bobs apprentice and he purchased the business in the early

Where was the L-Shaped Room ?   I certainly never went in it (not old enough) but I don't think anyone has mentioned its actual location.   EDIT I've answered my own question,

Trinity square was always the starting point for trips into town  on alighting a  number 6..17,,or 28 bus........i remember the Trinity church and graveyard and was sorry to see it go..even digging up

Posted Images

On 11/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, Willow wilson said:

Le Causery, Phil. I think that's the spelling of it.

My friends and I spent many a Saturday afternoon upstairs in ‘Le Causerie’, hugging a bottle of Coke and making it last for hours.

Causerie became our clique's preferred venue for a time.

Those were the days, we also would while away the hours. Chatting about important nothings.

Causerie seemed ideal for daytime get togethers.

But then, in later days we ventured on our separate ways. No matter where my memory chases, I forget their names but see their faces.

I never got to the L Shaped Room even though it was local to my usual haunts.

I just now searched it on here and the result is an aladins cave of engaging threads and posts. The city was a really 'fab' place in those days by all accounts regarding the club and speciality music scene. 

• Like 1

Went in L Shaped Room too usually late at night . My pals were from Burton Joyce and they knew Richard Williams who at that time was a reporter for the Post and also lived in BJ. He would call in there after a late shift.  He later worked for national newspapers and compered music shows on BBC.

Another Burton Joyce resident was Liz Hill whose dad was running Will Hill tailors in Trinity Sq in the 60s.

Always wondered what happened to her.  I remember she went off to work on a kibbutz in Israel and married a DJ from the Palais whilst there (I think) but can't remember his name.

• Like 2

Where was the L-Shaped Room ?

I certainly never went in it (not old enough) but I don't think anyone has mentioned its actual location.

EDIT

I've answered my own question, and it's come via our own Moz and his excellent 'Scene before in Nottingham'

L-Shaped room was on Goldsmith Street, and there's a photo here if you scroll down.   https://scenebeforeinnottingham.wordpress.com/home/places/coffee-bars/

• Like 4

Map opened for me but I don't recognise anything !

Totally changed since we left 40 years ago .

My main memory of Trinity Square, beside catching the no 28 bus from there, was the dirty black colour of the Holy Trinity Church, years and years of grime on it. Looking back most of the buildings seemed to be the same, if "progress" has done anything for us the city has cleaned up or knocked down some of the great buildings we once had, is it time they cleaned the Council house?

32 minutes ago, trogg said:

is it time they cleaned the Council house?

It certainly is trogg, I mentioned it here ages ago but I think the council would rather spend money on studies and reports on things that may never happen.

My very first meal out was in the little restraunt which was I think was  the Moulin Rouge. It was the first time going out with the master, and he paid. Now I tink its a chippy, Peppers Hairdresser;s on the corner exchange walk now closed. Above the salon used to be Peppers hairdresser's whole sale's. I used to work as an apprentice top of Alfreton rd and the boss would often send me down to get some stock.  There is still Peppers salon on Market St but not sure who now own's it.   The one in Trinity Sq. was owned by the Kinnel family. I think the wholesale's came first then the salon. Later in my older days I was a hairdresser course co-ordinator and we had juniors from Peppers salon to train. there was 4 co-ordinators in the office and when Mrs Kinnel phoned we all knew about it, she was allways very precise what training she wanted for her juniors, called in the salon a few years ago, ask about Mrs Kinnel staff told me that she was now in a nursing home with dementia. Now passed away. Peppers Trinty Square & Mrs Kinnel RIP.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, mary1947 said:

There is still Peppers salon on Market St but not sure who now own's it.   The one in Trinity Sq. was owned by the Kinnel family. I think 

It was started by George Pepper who lived at one point in Gedling . He died in the 1940s . I knew some of his granddaughters .

I think it's still owned by part of the wider family . If on Facebook there was an extensive thread here and many defensive replies are by the Campion family who must be connected .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/304093506435867/posts/1007072812804596

Cheers David

• Like 1