Pelham & Thurland Street Area

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved the Bodega'in the 60s,,,,met Trina in there  one sunday night,,....back then it was different to anywhere else i'd been in town.                        Think it was just an upstairs bar,,,s

Aritcle from the Post   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/huge-sums-changed-hands-over-1972888

I find these Nottingham Post articles are very interesting and thank you DaveN for posting the links.  It’s nice to read historical facts relating to the photos,  rather than personal anecdotes, even

I thought the picture of the "Sewer works" on Thurland street was actully a cut and cover railway tunnel to the Victoria station

Rog

• Like 2

I remember when the tracks from Victoria Station were visible just sub-street level between Clinton St E and Clinton St W where it seems Poundland is now. They must have crossed beneath Lincoln St and along Thurland St. The place that is now Wilko, next to the Dog & Partridge used to be a Sainsbury's - I remember the fancy "stonework" above hiding a car park - which it seems it does now.

I find these Nottingham Post articles are very interesting and thank you DaveN for posting the links.  It’s nice to read historical facts relating to the photos,  rather than personal anecdotes, even if some may be slightly incorrect.   I think one of Nonna’s  restaurants was on Thurland Street (not 100% sure as I wasn’t living in Nottingham when they were serving the best Italian food in the city) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I never knew that Byron literally left  his heart in Greece!  

Not sure I'd want that to happen after my death - I'd prefer to donate it to someone who needed it, although at my age, it probably wouldn't be good enough for that!   

• Upvote 1

Me too Rog..love facts and a back story.It's a great shame more people don't post images ..fair play to you DaveN.

I always thought the double Kerb system was due to that huge sewer system. I read that the Bank installed a new huge vault when these works took place.

That building on the right, Lizzie, wasn't rebuilt when the council house was built. The new council house was joined into it. Street view shows the join on Smithy Row. There is a picture on picture the past showing Boots of High Street decorated for the 1911 coronation with pedestrians  in Edwardian dress from the same standpoint as the above picture and that same building is there, only a lot cleaner, in 1911.

Edit. I've linked a picture

• Like 2

There's a story relating to this building on the corner of High street and Smithy row. The architectural style is different from the council house so one could assume different era and designer. And that's the case for the first 3 storeys. But the council house architects apparently had a plan incorporating an existing bank into the new  council house/shops complex. There's an emblem over the door of 11 Smithy row which bears the date 1853. Directly above this on the new top storey cornice is another stone emblem which states NP Bank and above that a stone banner which declares 1927 which is when the council house was built. It's been a few different banks in its time.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

You're correct Lizzie it was called La Buca. It was next to the carpet shop . Can't remember the other side but between us and the carpet shop was a corridor that lead to the rear. This was about 1976 

• 1 year later...

Anybody have any recollection of,  if I recall correctly no 10 Pelham St. Became the original Cooke Club about 1991. I was always fascinated by the fireplace in there, & the fact it was a nightclub in general. I do recall it being formally known as the Pelham Club, way before my time..

I know Gray & Bull have been there a long time because I remember my parents and grandparents both went there. The first opticians I was ever aware of.

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Certainly Gray and Bull next to Santander Bank. Didn’t that used to be a fur coat shop? Swears and Wells perhaps.

I'm not sure of the name, but I remember the fur shop.

I recall theat Gray & Bull always had a display of surgical instruments in the window to the left of the door.

Wasn't there a photographic shop close by? I remember when Polaroid colour film was first launched they had demonstrations there. I was given a demo picture looking towards the Square but it has long since been lost/faded.

Yes, you're right. My memory's going. Some years later I used the Photo Centre a lot.

Where was Lancaster & Thorpe (Opticians) located? They were in that area weren't they?