Pelham & Thurland Street Area

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved the Bodega'in the 60s,,,,met Trina in there  one sunday night,,....back then it was different to anywhere else i'd been in town.                        Think it was just an upstairs bar,,,s

Aritcle from the Post   https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/huge-sums-changed-hands-over-1972888

I find these Nottingham Post articles are very interesting and thank you DaveN for posting the links.  It’s nice to read historical facts relating to the photos,  rather than personal anecdotes, even

Didn’t that Nat West Bank used to be called Smiths Bank Branch? My father used to bank there. The manager used to believe everything he told him about why bills weren’t paid. He was very convincing.

3 hours ago, MRS B said:

Didn’t that Nat West Bank used to be called Smiths Bank Branch? My father used to bank there. 

It was also my bank branch in the 80s-90s. It's a Watson Fothergill building and is amazing inside; they don't make banks like that any more. Fortunately it's been well preserved by whoever occupies the place these days.

My company banked there. The manager was Eric Tiffin back in the 70’s/80’s. He used to host lunches for his larger customers at the NatWest area HQ on Radford Boulevard, the old Player‘S offices. Many’s the time I’ve sat with local luminaries such as Frank Sytner and Nat Puri. I often wondered if the guests had large overdrafts or big credit balances!

My dad worked for Players for 40 years so maybe that was the connection. He passed away in 1984 so would definitely have known Eric. It was a magnificent building.

Thanks for the explanation of why it was called Smiths Bank. My dad would have convinced anyone he had either a large balance or overdraft. The latter would have always been the case! We actually didn’t realise this till he died but he gave us all a really good life wheeling and dealing his finances. That was all that mattered.