Another victim of the computer age where people prefer staring at screens and fiddling with joysticks and mouses rather than actually doing anything practical - even if that was just model making.

• Like 1

This is sad. I’ve known Gee Dee since I was a child. I knew Mr. Grain as he used to make and sell shrink wrap machinery from another part of the business. Nobody will take it on. The Council have made it very difficult to shop in Nottingham nowadays and most people shop for the things they sell on line now. I never go into Nottingham now. What is there to see?

I did use Gee Dee’s but why do a 28 mile round trip in the car and pay to park in the Victoria Centre when I can get what I want delivered to my door? Real shops are ok for hands on browsing but you still probably buy the article cheaper on line when you get back home. That’s the way of the World now. I just wonder what will happen to town centres.

• Like 1

They do have a website from which you can buy online. The guys who run the shop are well past retirement age with no family members to take it on. Grain owns the premises so I imagine they will be sold and converted into apartments. Who would open a shop in Nottingham nowadays?

Edit. I’ve just checked their website but it’s not linked to stock so you can view but not buy. That confirms your comment about lack of business acumen.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Saturday early afternoon, into town, before heading home again to watch Grandstand, in the hope that there was some motorsport on.

Becrofts (?)

GeeDee

Pearsons or Pearson Bros (?)

plus Nequests  and the shop that had some cheaper records on Clumber St

Every Saturday, to check out any new Airfix kits, ex demo Wrenn 1/52 slot cars (hoping Dad hadn't been there first...) and anything else that took my fancy. 

Called in at GeeDees when last in Nottingham in September, but didn't buy anything. 

Most car stuff now seems to be sold as ready made up and there are very few decent kits that appeal.  Die casts have gone through the roof in price.  My last few die -cast purchases have been locally on line and prices were good as I think that the seller was also winding down his business.  Mainly Nottingham buses and trolley buses. 

The other problem these days is that all prices are no longer pocket money purchases. Average price of models shown in one of my UK monthly car magazines was about £100.   

• Like 1