New Member Here, Hi From Greece

Welcome, Big Dunc - hope you'll tell us all about your earlier years in/near Nottingham.

Btw, have you come across Lord Byron's heart - I read on a thread yesterday that he literally left it in Greece!

• Like 1

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about an angel having a last night out at his favourite disco before he had to stay permanently in heaven.  This disco was owned by a man called Sam Plank.  When he arrived back at the 'pearly gates' he wasn't allowed back in because he'd 'left his harp in Sam Plank's disco"

• Like 6
21 hours ago, MargieH said:

Welcome, Big Dunc - hope you'll tell us all about your earlier years in/near Nottingham.

Btw, have you come across Lord Byron's heart - I read on a thread yesterday that he literally left it in Greece!

I believe he left his heart in Corfu Margie, I am in Paros, a long way away.

36 minutes ago, Big Dunc said:

I believe he left his heart in Corfu Margie, I am in Paros, a long way away.

So the 'old Streets of Nottingham' website has made a mistake!  Never mind,   I'm sure it's not bothering him where it is....  is it buried in a particular place in Corfu and is there a memorial I wonder...

I know my eyes are getting worse, Phil, but I thought you'd put "dig it up to confirm"!!!  

These days, I sometimes find I'm guessing what the end of the sentence is instead of reading each word..... my brain had predictive text!

• Upvote 1

Who knows exactly, and does it really matter?  The poor old boy died too young - that's all I know...  not my favourite poet, though...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome Big Dunc

looking forward to reading your post's

• 4 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I thought his heart was buried in the parish church at mucky uckna?

Don't know about his heart Jill,,but his body is in a tomb in Hucknall church,,i had the pleasure of looking after the painting of Ada lovelace,,overnight in the church,, just me,,lord byron and Ada,,    can't say it wern't spooky,, 

• Like 1

It was about ten years ago,,and the Byron society had the painting to display in the church,

As always there was a funny side,,i was asking the main man from the society where Byron was,,  ""you're bleddy standing on him"" says he. Lol,

• Like 2

Byron was a bit of a snappy dresser too! He'd have gone down well on Main Street Bulwell!

Apparently, his tomb was opened in 1938 at which time he was identified by his club foot.  Such disability didn't detract from his popularity with the ladies!

• Like 1

Yes he would have loved having a smoke out back at Wetherspoons,,with me, Chulla, and Trogg,,

Me talking about ladies and clothes, Chulla reciting his Poetry,,whilst Trogg could keep us supplied with Coffee's,,

Lol,,

• Like 2

Bit of a lad wern't he,,...........died young but sampled most things in life......fancy eh......born a ''Geezer'' and ended up buried in Mucky Hukna''........

• Like 1

Just recalling now the night i spent in Hucknall church...........could hear voices outside about 2am.........went out for a Fag and there were 3 homeless blokes snuggled against the Church trying to keep warm,,they had Alcohol and roll-ups,,...........did'nt move em on,,instead sat and had a smoke with em,,even made em hot drink,,which they really enjoyed,,

Told em to be gone by eight next morning,, which they were,, bless em,, 

• Like 2