Great Grandad George Lee

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me in finding out any information on my grandfather a George lee. He was killed on the somme on the 10th October 1916 whilst attacking the Schwaben redoubt with the 16th Sherwood Foresters. I have his service records and CWGC records but not much else. He was married to a Mary Elizabeth (maiden name Yates) and lived at 22 Hornbuckle st in Radford. I have trekked through pages of local newspapers on the hope of getting a photo or article on him or family. If anyone has any info and would like to share i would be very grateful. Also if anyone is looking on information on George lee and ancestry on family i am more than happy to help.

Much appreciated,

Adrian

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Adrian. There are numerous members with a good knowledge of WW1 on here and I'm sure they will be able to assist.

My own paternal line, in part, lived in Radford although slightly earlier than 1916. Sadly, I don't recognise the names you give but no doubt someone will.

Good hunting!

Hi Jill many thanks for the welcome.

Thank you it would be nice to find out a bit more. Ive only recently been told about him as family not the best in passing information down haha but it is fascinating on looking into the past.

Many thanks,

Adrian

Welcome Adie ,

Can't offer any further info but there is this grainy photo of him , almost a year later in the Evening Post Sept. 19th 1917 .

A handsome chap !

For any future researchers also shown is a J. Walker of 14 Paterson Rd, Hyson Green of the Lancs Fusiliers who also went missing the previous October .

44639931371_74df8be96e_b.jpg

Hi David that is absolutely fantastic thank you so much. I have been looking for a while for a photo and it’s great to finally see him. I’m so grateful, thank you for sharing and so quick as well. I’m not sure if you are linked to him in any way but I have his service record and happy to share . You have made my day.

Thankyou,

Adrian

• Like 1