I couldn't find anything about Retford in these pages so thought I would start a thread, been there this morning to the market, not too bad,quite a few market stalls with plenty of bargains on offer,especially the fruit and veg sort, lots of small shops and the usual charity shops dotted about, never seen so many mobility scooters (even in Lincoln) the sods were everywhere

Retford_(8).jpg

There's what looked like a new bus station but on investigation found it was built in 2007, nice and clean with good seating,

Retford_(2).jpg

Retford_(1).jpg

Plenty of car parks at a reasonable price too, £1.90 for four hours as opposed to £4.00 in Lincoln

bit of history, A canon that was captured by the British form the Russian army at Sabastopol this is mounted on a small island in front of the church which itself is worth a look

Retford_(11).jpg

A nice bit of information was written on the wall above the corner shop

Retford_(9).jpg

One for our Carni, a market stall selling only jigsaw puzzles, he has thousands of them

Retford_(12).jpg

Sommat you don't see very often, a blue lamp outside the police station

Retford_(6).jpg

And the remains of one and a half brass monkeys

Retford_(4).jpg

Nice little North Notts town with good amount of history, very friendly locals and plenty of shops and little cafes

Rog

• Like 6
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't find anything about Retford in these pages so thought I would start a thread, been there this morning to the market, not too bad,quite a few market stalls with plenty of bargains on offer,e

Totally agree about the rose garden, Here's another Rose in the rose garden     Rog

Used to be a large Coop there in the 90s may still be there,,always enjoyed working there,,the 'lifters'' kept us very busy,,there was a Gang who travelled Lincs and Notts robbing mainly Coops,,cut a

I like Retford. Used to go there sometimes when I worked for Nottinghamshire County Council, offices on Chancery Lane, not far from the police station and next door to a beautiful park. A mass of roses in summer.

My great, great grandfather kept a pub in Retford in later life. The building still stands but is no longer a pub. He died there in 1919.

Good shops and market.

• Like 3

Used to be a large Coop there in the 90s may still be there,,always enjoyed working there,,the 'lifters'' kept us very busy,,there was a Gang who travelled Lincs and Notts robbing mainly Coops,,cut a long story short we nabbed em all there late one friday night...........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

County council offices Jill, next door to the Old Bank and the police station,nice building, the brickwork on the Old Bank and police station is really nice

Retford_(7).jpg

Rog

The little building next to the blue door of the police station (the Old Bank) is now the county council offices, didn't see any other buildings to do with council on my walk round so it's maybe a charity shop now ;)

Rog

• Like 1

I lived and worked in Retford for several years in the '70s, a very enjoyable time and nice folk.

As Jill says, the County Council offices were on Chancery Lane next to the park and still there when I visited last year. It's the Town Council offices that are/were on the square. The old police station I remember was on the corner of Chancery Lane close by, replaced by a larger new one now. The Majestic where Ian would have seen the bands was on the opposite corner.

Ben, the Co-op store is long-gone, I remember we bought a G-Plan lounge wall unit from there that my mum still had until very recently.

• Like 4

Memories of Retford kicking in a bit more now,,used to deal with a butcher in my ABGibson days,,cant remember his name inthe high street, also had a shop in Ollerton,perhaps TBI remembers?

Also remember playing football on Retford towns ground,, now a supermarket just off the main road,

Also worked another coop nearby Ordsall?

Ranby prison just outside,played football there as well,,

I've always liked Retford. The Saturday market used to be great for plants and shrubs. Some beautiful architecture around too. Very reminiscent of Nottingham. Friendly too.

• Like 1

No Ben, can't remember the butchers but that reminded me of the Porterhouse, that's more likely the place Ian would have seen have seen live bands, very popular.

As to Ranby Prison, we provided electricals and regularly transitor radio sets for the prisoners. They weren't allowed anything with short wave on though.

• Like 1

There is a butchers/bakers on the High street,name of Bacon (funnily enough) established in 1938 I think the words said above the shop, big double windowed place with bakers one side and butchers the other with the entrance door in the middle, looked an old fashioned type of shop with really good window displays, next time we go over I'll take a picture

Rog

• Like 1

Thats the one Rog,,Bacons,,think also Ollerton and Scunthorpe,,funny thing is,,he bought Bacon from the company i worked for,,ABGibsons,, thanks Rog,,

• Like 1

And thanks Oz,,walked in that shop carrying me old fashioned Briefcase a few times,, 

The cricket ground Oz as i recall was just before you entered Retford by the railway line bridge,

• Like 1

Well done Oz, thats the one, bread and cakes on the left and quality meats on the right, thanks for the picture,lovely building and notice the sun blinds,proper old fashioned

Rog

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

And thanks Oz,,walked in that shop carrying me old fashioned Briefcase a few times,, 

The cricket ground Oz as i recall was just before you entered Retford by the railway line bridge, 

From memory there was a cricket ground off Ordsall Road just past the bridge over the Sheffield to Lincoln Line

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

A broadstone in the grounds of Saint Michaels church Retford, it has been put upside down for safety reasons but back in 1665 when the plague was rampant in the county it stood just around the corner from it's present site and in the top was vinegar where the parishioners would put their penny's for the church collection, reason for vinegar was it would cleanse the money of any signs of the plague, there is a similar stone in the market place where people would put their money in for food that was left nearby once again to "stop" the spread of the plague

DSCF1692.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My great great grandfather, William Ward 1840-1919, moved to Retford after retirement from farming. He kept an inn there. I followed up a couple of addresses for him from census returns and found them still standing, although the inn was a Chinese restaurant when I saw it some years ago.  I don't think William's body was interred in the churchyard but there is a very large cemetery in Retford which is probably the site of his burial.

• Like 1

I visited the church some years ago but was descended upon by someone connected with it who seemed intent on trying to proselytize in a somewhat aggressive fashion. I can't tolerate that sort of thing and didn't hang around.  I've also visited the church where William was married in the centre of Mansfield. That's a lovely old church and I was left alone to wander round unmolested.

• Like 1

The church was locked this morning Jill (sign of the times I suppose) but it would be nice to have a look round the place, I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination (in fact the complete opposite) but it's nice to see the old architecture, fixtures and fittings, I know just what you mean about being descended upon that's one of the main reasons I refuse to visit the Lincoln cathedral because that "den of thieves" are only after your money and not at all interested in ones spiritual being, still' that's my opinion and as such should not be discussed within the pages of this forum

Rog

You’re right about Lincoln Cathedral Rog. I was surprised by the amount they wanted from us to enter the premises. I can appreciate that they need money for upkeep but perhaps a suggested donation, or whatever you can afford, might be better. I remember when it was free to enter the house of the Lord! I think Southwell Minster may be be free but I’ve not been in for years.