Last time I was in Southwell for a trip around the minster it wasn't free, think it was about a fiver, needless to say I didn't go in after a few choice words to the bloke holding his hand out

Rog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't find anything about Retford in these pages so thought I would start a thread, been there this morning to the market, not too bad,quite a few market stalls with plenty of bargains on offer,e

Totally agree about the rose garden, Here's another Rose in the rose garden     Rog

Used to be a large Coop there in the 90s may still be there,,always enjoyed working there,,the 'lifters'' kept us very busy,,there was a Gang who travelled Lincs and Notts robbing mainly Coops,,cut a

Don’t want to risk this thread turning into ‘places of worship’ but the other day we went to Salisbury Cathedral and the entrance fee was £10 per person, however our ticket is valid for a year and we can go in as often as we want.  Inside is the World’s oldest working mechanical clock, made in 1386, @The Engineerwould find that interesting I’m sure.   Also on display is one of only 4 copies of the Magna Carta.   It’s a magnificent building and interesting city and well worth a visit …….  just don’t go picking up perfume bottles from waste bins.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Don’t want to risk this thread turning into ‘places of worship’ but the other day we went to Salisbury Cathedral and the entrance fee was £10 per person, however our ticket is valid for a year and we can go in as often as we want.  Inside is the World’s oldest working mechanical clock, made in 1386, @The Engineerwould find that interesting I’m sure.   Also on display is one of only 4 copies of the Magna Carta.   It’s a magnificent building and interesting city and well worth a visit …….  just don’t go picking up perfume bottles from waste bins.  

Nice post and some history involved especially the clock, 

Rog

To me, cathedrals are just historic buildings and I suspect many/most?  people just like going inside to appreciate the architecture etc.  The upkeep of these buildings does cost a huge amount and the money has to come from somewhere!   The alternative is allowing them to become unsafe and eventually crumble away.

They were built to bring glory to God but nowadays, apart from special celebrations, the worshippers are few.

I go to a Baptist church which is much less elaborate than a cathedral and our smallish fellowship is able to fund the maintenance of the building without any outside help, and support those in need outside of the fellowship, which is much more important than tne building!

The ‘Church’ is the body of Christians in whatever denomination - not the building where they choose to meet!  

Back on topic …. I have relatives who 

live in Retford.  My cousin there used to have 2 huge traction engines, then his son took them over.  They used to go to rallies .  My cousin’s name was Bruce Ragsdale and his son was Doug.  Maybe those of you who like those huge machines might have come across them?

This post just reminded me of a gent who used to vist Ward B2 at the City Hospital. They use to call him Uncle John, he would come every day to visit the children who were long term hopital patients, my son had "Perthers" which was a disease of the hip bone and he was in the city for 2 years. Uncle John would tell the children great stories about the taction engines, they were all mesmerise with the  storys. Uncle John though had one problem,  I think that he must have been a farm worker, as even though you  could not see him from about a mile away you could smell him.  Uncle John smelt just like a bag of farm yard mnanure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Stuart.C David Ragsdale is Doug’s younger brother!   We rarely visit Retford these days and when we do we only see my cousin and Doug - I haven’t seen David for decades.  
Nice photos of those massive beasts!

I have sort of a connection to the Retford area . My grandmother was born in 1876 in North Wheatley which is nearby.

I never knew her , (she died in Carlton of the Spanish flu in 1919) , when my dad was only 5 years old .

She was illegitimate , as were her brother and sister . The only clue as to who the father may have been is the birth of the brother called "Alfred Carson Denby" .

He was born and died in 1875 . 

There's a record on his death that says he was the "illegitimate son of Alfred Carson".

Nothing to say that Alfred Carson fathered all three children though.  

There is an Alfred Carson born 1843 born Mansfield but tracked with his family in nearby Worksop from 1871 to 1901 but of course it could be another Alfred Carson who just wandered into the Retford area?

I found all this out after I'd left Nottingham and am ashamed to say have never visited North Wheatley where my Denby ancestors came from  .

• Upvote 2

David I think we‘Ve spoken about this before, but my mum was born in Saundby in 1902, which is the next village to Wheatley

• Like 1

David. Your story is so like mine. My grandfather was born in N. Wheatley. My G.Grandmother had 5 children by her husband (no record of a marriage). He died in 1873, but G.Grandmother had 5 more children. All have her husband's name as the father. (Including granddad) But she eventually married a John Newton, who I believe fathered these 5 children as they had Newton in their names. 

• Like 1

Katyjay, yes I remembered we had a conversation ages ago about our connection with North Wheatley .

Must have been something in the water there !!

• 2 weeks later...

This was moored in the Wharfe last time I walked along the Chesterfield canal in Retford I took a photo of this narrow boat because of the little phrase wrote on the side

P1090410.jpg

And to save anyone trying to expand the picture to read the phrase I took a close up of it,I thought it was an interesting few words

P1090409_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Lovely walk around Retford market and Kings park yesterday, good weather and friendly folk, nice to hear the Hathersage brass band playing in the market square and the Easter Bunny put in an appearance, even the Drake Mallard came over to say hello

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2019.jpg

Rog

• Like 4

Totally agree about the rose garden, Here's another Rose in the rose garden

DSCF1092-2.jpg

Rog

• Like 5

And not a Lister engine or bicycle in sight. Have a great day mate !

PS. That's it, I've  now reached my 10,000 posts.

• Like 1

Just for you B, Ashby Magna vintage and engine rally last year, A four cylinder Lister engine and a Raleigh bike on the same truck

DSCF1070.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

I Like Retford too..used to have relatives there....also did a few stints at the Coop.....got a good friend who used to be Warder at nearby Ranby Prison.......oh yes also used to deal with a Butcher there named 'Bacon'.....Rog is the Cannon still there?

Do they still have a football team ? played on their old ground a couple of times.........also played Cricket on a nice ground just before you enter Retford......

So you could say i knew Retford pretty well.......

Also Rog love the 4 cylinder engine.......:crazy:

Thought the engine would appeal to you Ben, yes the Cannon is still there and "Bacons" the butchers/bakers was packed yesterday, the punters were queueing outside

Rog

• Like 1