• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday we celebrated my birthday and went for a meal at the Brinsley Lodge. Food OK but the place itself needs  a serving of petrol and a match. For the first in many years I wasn't driving an

Getting back into home brewing beer after 26 years away from it. Miss a good glass of real beer. Next year I'll be collecting berries from our two Mulberry trees and making some wine from them. Also

I used to buy 50lb pails of pure barley malt when I lived in Oz, problem was it was made to suit the big breweries, then they started getting barley & wheat malt, just didn't taste the same.... I

Just sitting here and drinking cidre I made two seasons ago in France. The barrel has got to run out soon:( This morning I went up to a nearby hamlet to fettle my scratter and set up the press for next week ends cider making. The cider from misc apples is not a patch on the stuff I made in France using traditional cidre apples. That is one of the things I will miss about selling up in France.

• Upvote 1

I used to make loads of elderberry wine, a good tip is to cut up an overripe banana and chuck it in the  mix,it takes the strong tannin taste away that the skins impart,lovely stuff ,our french friends would not believe it was not made from grapes

• 2 months later...

You know that smell you get down the alleys alongside Chinese takeaway shops? Our home made wine tastes just like that - but it is very, very strong! 

thumbsup

• Like 1

There's around 5 gallons of strawberry wine aging, probably put a bottle in the fridge for Christmas, and I have around five gallons of mulberry wine almost ready to rack off into flagons anytime now.

There are still about 20 pounds of mulberries in the freezer and about 6 pounds of strawberries too.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2018 at 6:00 PM, PeverilPeril said:

fettle my scratter

I have a new scratter, PP. It consists of a length of tree trunk with cross hatchings carved into one end. I drilled through the other end and put a length of broom handle through to make a "Ponch" type apple crusher - works too!

• Like 2

That's something I've not come across for a very long time - 'ponch'. When I was young our washing machine comprised a 'copper' (actually a galvanised heated tub) in which we took turns to bash or ponch the clothes with the copper dome like thing on the end of a broom handle.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My cider making equipment will definitely be exhibited at next years Staffordshire County show 29 and 30th May.

Helped by the local cider making co-operative we hope to procure some apples to demonstrate scratting and pressing. The juice will not be suitable for cider due to the imported apples having been treated. However we hope that the juice is a pleasant drink. It may be possible to ferment the juice but I am not happy when chemicals of questionable provenance have been used. 

• Like 1

Freeze your apples in the freezer, when you thaw them, they will be soft and gooey  ready for "easy" pressing.

1 hour ago, jonab said:

That's something I've not come across for a very long time - 'ponch'. When I was young our washing machine comprised a 'copper' (actually a galvanised heated tub) in which we took turns to bash or ponch the clothes with the copper dome like thing on the end of a broom handle.

Used to love 'Bashing' me Grannies ''Ponch'' in her ''Dolly Tub''...........

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Freeze your apples in the freezer, when you thaw them, they will be soft and gooey  ready for "easy" pressing.

My freezer won't take over 2 tons of apples ;) Not sure what effect freezing would have on the natural yeasts or to the flavours imparted from crushed fresh apples? Sounds like a good solution for a small quantity of apple wine though.

42 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Used to love 'Bashing' me Grannies ''Ponch'' in her ''Dolly Tub''...........

That was a job I remember. Also getting the hot washing out of the copper with those large wooden pincers. Still got ours hanging in the laundry :biggrin:

• Like 1

You don't need or WANT, natural yeasts, you should be adding sodium metabisulphate to the  mix before adding your yeast, to kill off natural yeasts and bacteria that turn your wine/cider to vinegar.

20 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

You don't need or WANT, natural yeasts, you should be adding sodium metabisulphate to the  mix before adding your yeast, to kill off natural yeasts and bacteria that turn your wine/cider to vinegar.

You DO need natural yeast if you are making proper cider (not the commercial rubbish) or wine. However, making small quantities and using fruit not intended for wine or cider is a different matter entirely. I am drinking cider made two years ago that has had absolutely nothing added during the process. It's been stored in an oak barrel but unfortunately it is almost empty now :(. It is clear and clean on the palate.

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

A friend used to make damson gin and then use the intoxicated fruit for tipsy damson jam. I like neither gin nor damsons. I'll stick to red wine.

Red wine will do too but we have a better idea we get strawberries or peaches in red wine

Living in the middle of vineyards gives us no choice than to drink red wine. That’s why we have our wine festival every year. 

For dessert Jill. We have so many ways to use red wine. It’s not only for drinking. But if you enjoy it why not:rotfl:

1 minute ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Tell you what, you eat the fruit and I'll have the wine. :wacko:

Haha wine flavored fruit is more satisfying then you drink the juice. A new experience. You’ve got no sense of adventure Jill.:laughing:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Home Brewing and Wine