Compo

Home wine making

Not exactly a drink, but Golden raisins soaked in Gin are supposed to be really good for Arthritis and other aches and pains.  Just eight or nine a day.  You won't get a buzz out of that, but the aches in my legs and ankles seem less when I take them.  

Let them soak just covered in the Gin for a week to ten days before eating any.

• Like 1

Must try that Loppy. I have a few raisins left from  Christmas 2016 when I made mince meat and Christmas cake . They went in the banana cake the other day and they were fine, not outdated. will definitely try them could do with a bit less pain.

You might want to Google it first Nonna to get a bit more detail.  it certainly won't hurt you if nothing else they are tasty. Google wiil probably direct you to several natural health websites.

No need Loppy I've done sultanas before in brandy so presumably raisins and gin are fine . Will let you know.

It's about 25 years since my wife & I unexpectedly found ourselves members of 2 wine circles but have never regretted it due to the attached social life we've enjoyed. We soon joined in not only the making of the wine but entering in competitions with other local circles at their annual festivals taking our entries in on the Saturday morning, they were judges during the afternoon and then we returned in the evening for the dancing & presentation of trophies if successful!

Oh dear, problems again with P.image ! the photo shows Bramcotes last festival 2 years ago with the entries ready for the judges but it should be up here !

Scan_20180930.jpg

• Like 5

Always nice to hear about your exploits in wine circles Albert, nice to see you posting again

Rog

Thanks Plantfit.

it may be my fault as I appear to have 'saved' the copy photo incorrectly I

I was going to say that all but one of these 'festivals' are now just memories due to the work involved, 14 hours on  'the' day plus judges, music & venue to be booked beforehand. The work on a personal basis has also got a bit heavy on the the knees when washing/sterilising a dozen bottles or more and as you can see all the bottles have to be finished to competition standard  to have any chance of winning.

ATB to Eastwood Wine Circle for their 50th. festival next April(?) I've got a couple of 'reds' and a White kit to start so I'll be seeing you all, Cheers ! 

• Like 5

Many years ago i had a good crop of parsnips. I had seen a recipe for parsnip and banana wine so I bought some spotty bananas and made a batch. It was ready in a few weeks. Two demi john's nice and clear.  New years party and I put up a couple of bottles and jokingly labelled it 'Afrodizzyack' . The ladies really went for it! Whooooo..............:crazy:

• Like 5

I noticed there's a load of wild hops growing in the hedgerow down the lane from me

Rog

Just sitting here and drinking cidre I made two seasons ago in France. The barrel has got to run out soon:( This morning I went up to a nearby hamlet to fettle my scratter and set up the press for next week ends cider making. The cider from misc apples is not a patch on the stuff I made in France using traditional cidre apples. That is one of the things I will miss about selling up in France.

• Upvote 1

I used to make loads of elderberry wine, a good tip is to cut up an overripe banana and chuck it in the  mix,it takes the strong tannin taste away that the skins impart,lovely stuff ,our french friends would not believe it was not made from grapes

You know that smell you get down the alleys alongside Chinese takeaway shops? Our home made wine tastes just like that - but it is very, very strong! 

thumbsup

• Like 1

There's around 5 gallons of strawberry wine aging, probably put a bottle in the fridge for Christmas, and I have around five gallons of mulberry wine almost ready to rack off into flagons anytime now.

There are still about 20 pounds of mulberries in the freezer and about 6 pounds of strawberries too.

• Like 1

Bottled a gallon of apple wine yesterday. At bottling it tasted like a strong, still cider.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 6:00 PM, PeverilPeril said:

fettle my scratter

I have a new scratter, PP. It consists of a length of tree trunk with cross hatchings carved into one end. I drilled through the other end and put a length of broom handle through to make a "Ponch" type apple crusher - works too!

• Like 2

That's something I've not come across for a very long time - 'ponch'. When I was young our washing machine comprised a 'copper' (actually a galvanised heated tub) in which we took turns to bash or ponch the clothes with the copper dome like thing on the end of a broom handle.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My cider making equipment will definitely be exhibited at next years Staffordshire County show 29 and 30th May.

Helped by the local cider making co-operative we hope to procure some apples to demonstrate scratting and pressing. The juice will not be suitable for cider due to the imported apples having been treated. However we hope that the juice is a pleasant drink. It may be possible to ferment the juice but I am not happy when chemicals of questionable provenance have been used. 

• Like 1

Freeze your apples in the freezer, when you thaw them, they will be soft and gooey  ready for "easy" pressing.

1 hour ago, jonab said:

That's something I've not come across for a very long time - 'ponch'. When I was young our washing machine comprised a 'copper' (actually a galvanised heated tub) in which we took turns to bash or ponch the clothes with the copper dome like thing on the end of a broom handle.

Used to love 'Bashing' me Grannies ''Ponch'' in her ''Dolly Tub''...........

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Freeze your apples in the freezer, when you thaw them, they will be soft and gooey  ready for "easy" pressing.

My freezer won't take over 2 tons of apples ;) Not sure what effect freezing would have on the natural yeasts or to the flavours imparted from crushed fresh apples? Sounds like a good solution for a small quantity of apple wine though.

42 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Used to love 'Bashing' me Grannies ''Ponch'' in her ''Dolly Tub''...........

That was a job I remember. Also getting the hot washing out of the copper with those large wooden pincers. Still got ours hanging in the laundry :biggrin:

• Like 1

You don't need or WANT, natural yeasts, you should be adding sodium metabisulphate to the  mix before adding your yeast, to kill off natural yeasts and bacteria that turn your wine/cider to vinegar.