Just gone through the topics under Bilborough etc and don't see any mention of the Pelican, anyone remember the one armed barman named Roy,he worked there late 60's early 70's nice bloke,good barman

Rog

• Like 1

The one on Bracebridge drive was a favourite haunt of a lot of the Wollaton colliery miners, get talking to some of them old boys and they would carry out a re-enactment of some coal face incident or rescue using their walking sticks as pit props under the overhanging bar top or tables,the whle bar room was turned into a makeshift coal face, used to know some of the old fellas because me dad worked at the colliery in the fifties and sixties, some right characters

Rog

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Only went in Pelican once.....back in the 60s....with a  girl on a date from Farrands or Marsdens  on  Bracebridge drive,,,,date didnt go well so never met her again......However i do remember something else about the Pelican.......played football against them on Bulwell common back in about 1970.....the reason i remember it was it was the first time i played against a side that were nearly all Black blokes......it was quite a fierce encounter with words used that wouldnt be tolerated today ..and quite correct too...think we (Park Tavern) had a narrow win....after the game it was sporting handshakes all round......memories ey,,,

Oztalgian  I see you said something about The Pelican Can any of you remeber Peter Woodward  I think he used to manage the football team there. Pete you would know as he had a accident and used to be in a wheelchair.

mary1947

When I was at secondary school there was a lad called Geoffrey Hoe (think that was his surname) who’s mum and dad ran the Pelican. This was in the 1960’s.