Has anyone got any idea why my rewriter/burner has stopped working? I have lowered the speed on it, changed the discs we were using, done everything I can possilbly think of but no joy... completely at a loss.

Also I noticed a while back when scanning for viruese, that on the list of things that were ok, the shell32.dll (whatever that means) has been changed. Could this have been changed by a virus or is something else responsible?

And, sorry to be a pain, but, we recently tried to install Doom3 (pc game) and the installation went fine, but the message came up that our driver(s) and sound card were not compatible, therefore were not able to play the game. how is this rectified? The pc is new, less than 12 months, has all the system requirements for the game, apart from this one thing.

compusmash

This looks like a job for...Super Robin!!!

(Robin is a wiz at this kind of thing!)

Hey Robin, that's a good new career path for you...tech support!! You'd do well at that I'm sure!!

hi our gert...

maybe a solution to problem No.3 .. then again maybe not..

nevertheless worth a try.

with regard to Doom 3 it's quite possible with the newer sofware forever pushing the boundaries of the pc, your video card may not be powerful enough to run the game..

depending on type of video card, either Nvidia, ATI or other, you could try and update the drivers from the website that supports your card and see if this fixes the problem... plus try downloading the latest version of directx, this too might work, if neither work, you may need a more powerful card.

the latest directx:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

I still can't free the easter bunny from the evil elves in 'Toyshop Rescue', plus only having a 386 with 32 mb of ram, games tend to run a little slow... one of these days I'm going to get me a fancy 486 with a 64 ram, complete with five meg harddrive, then we'll see how fast those elves can move when they get a 20dpi cursor on their tail.

...and I got this great new nail polish color from OPI called "I'm not really a waitress"...

What language are you guys speaking??? Remind me when I have computer problems to hire someone to fix it, cause just that little bit of info has my head spinning!!!

Has anyone got any idea why my rewriter/burner has stopped working? I have lowered the speed on it, changed the discs we were using, done everything I can possilbly think of but no joy... completely at a loss.

Also I noticed a while back when scanning for viruese, that on the list of things that were ok, the shell32.dll (whatever that means) has been changed. Could this have been changed by a virus or is something else responsible?

And, sorry to be a pain, but, we recently tried to install Doom3 (pc game) and the installation went fine, but the message came up that our driver(s) and sound card were not compatible, therefore were not able to play the game. how is this rectified? The pc is new, less than 12 months, has all the system requirements for the game, apart from this one thing.

compusmash

do you know what sound card it is there is a bug in doom 3 but there are updates to sort them if you know the sound card make- as for your cd burner what program are you using if you reinstall that program 9 out of 10 times that will sort it out nero is one of the best programs i think.... give a go and let me know and try and find out what sound card you have and if theres any error message write it down and tell me that to sorry about the spelling and stuff im in a rush and i cant spell no2

Thanx robin, seems you may have the answers. How do I find out what sound/video card I have? I tried downloading the nvidia that was supposed to be compatible with doom3, but nothing changed.

as for the burner, we have 3 programs. Origanally windows media player, then music match, and now realplayer. I am thinking of getting rid of the musicmatch, and putting windows media player back as the default one. should I get rid of real player too? Only put that on as is was compatible with my mobile phone.

What I will do is reinstall doom3, just to write down exactly what the error is and let you know.

Thanx again, I will also try nero if I get no joy. thumbsup

Thanx robin, seems you may have the answers. How do I find out what sound/video card I have? I tried downloading the nvidia that was supposed to be compatible with doom3, but nothing changed.

it will take to long to explain but if you have msn messager 7.5 or above i can remote assist if you dont know what that is its were i see your computer on my screen and i can controll your mouse and settings and i will look to see if there any problems and find out your sound card and maybe even sort out your burner. regarding real player i would get rid its nothing but trouble that program and if you download nero that will install new setting that may get your burner working

compusmashthumbsup

Hello Our Gert, sorry you have problems with your pc.

If you go to the following site and download the free advisor it will give you a list of all the things you have on your pc, their specs etc

Belarc Advisor

Hope this helps.

A ;)

NB No detriment to Robin and I mean this in the nicest possible way, remote access to your pc should not be given to anyone you are not familiar with, I know this sounds like I do not trust Robin but I would tell you the same if it was your best friend.

Right. This is so bloody confusing, (to me anyway), but I think I've got it...

Is Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio controller, my sound card?????

and maybe VIA/S3G Unichrommel Graphics (display adaptor), anything to do with the video card???

I don't bloody know.

Thanx for the offer robin of remote assistance, but that is something I have never done and I am a bit weary of doing.

STRESS!!!!

SOD IT!

The list of missing things needed to play Doom3 is endless. So stuff it.

I think I'll just concentrate on getting the burner/re-writer sorted out.

If any one wants Doom3 game, let me know... do I have to put that in the "for sale" section?

Right. This is so bloody confusing, (to me anyway), but I think I've got it...

Is Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio controller, my sound card?????

and maybe VIA/S3G Unichrommel Graphics (display adaptor), anything to do with the video card???

I don't bloody know.

Thanx for the offer robin of remote assistance, but that is something I have never done and I am a bit weary of doing.

STRESS!!!!

yes that is your sound card driver and remote asis is a bit doggie if you dont know the person your remote to..... :victory:

tutanic, belarc did give me the info i needed, and that's how i found out what my sound card was, also, according to that, apparently my system is ok... but it's still playing up, now we have a constant problem with "my computer not responding" when trying to play on certain games on cd rom.

surely things can only get better

thumbsdown