As Stanford on Soar is near Loughborough, i always assumed that Stanford Hall was in Leicestershire, but its in Nottinghamshire, just.

Anyone who's not been past there in recent times will be amazed at its transformation into a rehabilitation centre for injured servicemen. Its taken about 3 years and 30 million pounds.

We used to be taken there each week, in the Wrights of Keyworth Bedford OB bus, over 50 years ago for swimming sessions in the lido there. I think it was open to the public then.Anyone else remember the place ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Do you mean Stanford on Soar? passed there loads when I had to go to East Leake quarry, last time I was in the area I saw loads of tower cranes working

Rog

I never realised how much ground the place took up until I saw the tower cranes from Loughborough road and then turning left up Rempstone road toward Zouch, masive place

Rog

When I stayed with my Rempstone granny we often used to pack a picnic and walk to Stanford Hall (grounds only) to eat it. It seemed a very long way to go and, I suppose to a five-year-old, it was. About halfway to the hall, on the left, was a water mill which milled flour although it was all but derelict by then.

There was a theatre in the hall and when I was a bit older we would go to amateur theatrical productions (local theatre groups). It was VERY dark when we came out (no street lighting) so we all had candle lanterns and torches to light the way back to Rempstone (very few cars in those days). Quite spooky, especially when you reached Rempstone church.

• Like 4

When Stanford Hall was owned by Sir Julien Cahn my grandad worked for him as a butler. My mother was only a young girl at the time but she used to say what a nice place it was to live, even as live in staff. Apparently Sir Julien was a very fair employer and treated his staff well.

• Like 1

There is another Stanford Hall further south in Leicestershire.  http://stanfordhall.co.uk

Been to few car rallies there. First time I went to rally I went to the wrong Stanford Hall  :blush:

• 3 years later...

Hi, I can remember going swimming at Stanford in the late 60’s. Did it used to be owned by the Co op back in the day?

Mrs B

Forgot all about Stanford Hall............went to a couple of Sales conferences there.....one in the 70s with ABGibsons of Daybrook (the VG stores wholesaler) and one with the COOP in the 90s.......

Also have vague memories of playing Cricket there......can't recall who for......possibly about 69 for 'Tudor' CC...........