A situation that could have had serious consequences, but didn't, thankfully. Tell me what you would do about it or just leave it?

27th Sept, here in Skegness we bought some mince pies,from a large supermarket, but not their own make. Last night, I sampled one. I had a second bite and just about to take another and realised there was a piece of soft blue latex type plastic, the texture was very fine, reminded me of the gloves you sometimes see staff wearing who deal with food, it was hanging out of the pie. I realised that I had probably eaten some of it.

Dilemma. Do I go to the shop and show them or just forget it. If I had some in my pie, there could well be more in the batch made that day? What does the team think, I really don't know if I should ignore or report it?

If you find things not of the quality expected or demanded then you should consider it your duty to make the people responsible aware of the problem - in your case, the shop where you bought the product.

• Like 3

Ditto to what Jonab said,if you don't and there's more like it the next person might not be so lucky (if that's the right word) as you, in some circumstances it could be fatal

Rog

• Like 2

Both replies have confirmed what I thought I should do. As expected, I don't have my receipt anymore, but If I make it clear that my intention is to bring the problem to light for the safety of others then I hope it will be dealt with properly. Really, the whole batch ought to be removed from the shelf.   We will see?

Sorry reply is late, Internet connection keeps going off!

• Like 1

I am reminded of an occasion when very young (5 or 6) when my mother bought some cakes/tarts including her favourites, blackcurrant cream (I can't remember the colloquial name for them but they were an individual deep pastry case filled with blackcurrant and topped with 'cream'). Mother bit into the tart and found she had bitten into a blood-soaked finger bandage. She obviously took it back to the shop and their first reaction was that she had placed the bandage in the tart herself and then when they finally accepted what she was saying was true, they offered another tart (not gazillions, just one) as recompense. Thank goodness things have changed since 1950!

• Like 1

I remember opening a tin of tuna over thirty years ago (I can't remember what brand) and upon opening it, found a crane fly inside, which had obviously landed on the tuna just prior to the lid being put on. I took it back to Safeway and was immediately given a £5 voucher. 

Oh, and another tin of tuna.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Results.

The manager couldn't have done a better job. Well done to his efficiency. Straight away, the details were relayed to head office, who in turn  contacted the makers, who would instruct the shop as to their decision. I pointed out that; if the batch stayed on the shelf while this was happening, people could still buy one. I was told they had started the ball rolling and procedures were all happening at that precise moment.

I will be contacted by the manufacturers at some point. No problem with that. The safety of the public priority, and for myself I was given two boxes of mince pies (their own brand, at my request) and the cost of my original pies refunded.

Dilemma sorted.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Happy it ended well Carni. If any thing is wrong or you find insects or whatever inside goods it must always be brought to attention. Years ago I bought a pack of prewashed salad ( the first ever) and found a daddy long legs inside. Took it back and I told them I didnt want it replaced so they gave me double the amount I paid. Another time I picked up a whole fresh chicken and checked the BB date . It was well within the date. Got it home and it smelt disgusting and the colour was a yucky yellow. I couldnt go back to Asda so I phoned , explained everything and they said to leave it with them and how much did you pay. Within 1/2 hr the door bell went and a young lad stood there with a chicken in one hand and the price of the chicken that I'd paid in the other. Things do go wrong but if you dont complain theyre not corrected. Well satisfied and I continued to shop at Asda.

• Like 2

Like Jonab's mum, mine bought a pack of those cupcakes with the solid chocolate topping, around 1965. They were mouldy when opened. She took them back but refused a replacement pack and, for the rest of her life, avoided them if they were offered when we went out for tea!  She had a similar experience with a Fray Bentos pie in a tin around the same time!

• Like 1

Catfan that reminds me a few years ago I saw tins of evaporated milk in a chinese shop. We use to go there as they sold spices that we couldnt get in the supermarkets. Got this tin home and was going to enjoy a childhood favourite, jelly and evap .milk. Made two holes in the top and nothing would come out. I had noticed though that it was heavier and there was no liquid swishing around. It turned out to be condensed milk which we can find easily. Evapoated milk on lableI .Found the address of Nestle and wrote to them. They asked all the usual questions, where did I buy it , how much etc, whats your address. I thought goody goody they are going to send me some....but no, never heard another word.I've grown out of it now.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update on Mince Pies.

We received a phone call late October from the Supermarket head office. (Very sorry, I had health issues that took priority and I forgot to update NS ). The call was for my permission to allow them to pass on my details to the pie makers, due to the  'Privacy laws', they had to have my consent before they could do that. We were told it could take up to ten weeks before we heard from them. Watch this space, my reckoning is about early December.:)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Mince Pie update.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, carni said:

The call was for my permission to allow them to pass on my details to the pie makers, due to the  'Privacy laws', they had to have my consent before they could do that. We were told it could take up to ten weeks before we heard from them. Watch this space, my reckoning is about early December

We decided to give the Supermarket that the pies were bought from a call today as we have heard nothing since October, at which time I received a letter asking me to call and confirm my permission, as in my quote above. I did so and that was it!

The Manager of the Supermarket today apologised and said he would contact the Manufacturer. Within ten minutes we had a call from them. They said they had no record of any complaint from the shop and so they are going to contact them.  In the meantime they are sending us an E Mail for us to attach the two photos we have of the pies with the blue plastic showing. We have made it clear that we are not after any reward, but think it is serious enough to warrant a reply from them at least! Let's see? I have deliberately tried not to name the shop or Manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1