Why Lincolnshire yellerbellies

Sommat to do with wearing yellow waistcoats from way back, easy to spot and shoot them, could also be from picking up yellow pollen on their shirts/waistcoats when walking through the mustard fields

Rog

There's a few theories I've read , one was that in the rivers and marshes of the fens , the numerous eels and frogs both had yellow undersides. 

Similar to plantfits idea above was that at the battle of Inkerman , mid1850s , the day was saved when the Lincolnshire Regiment reinforced the troops . A general , viewing the battle , exclaimed something like "Hurray , here come the yellow bellies" alluding to the waistcoats of their uniform and the nickname stuck .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's plenty of motor cars around here with stickers in the rear window with thwe words " Proud to be a yellow belly" sounds strange but it's true

Rog

• Upvote 1

Compared to Nottinghamshire the Lincolnshire people would appear to show more pride in their county as seen by the number of Lincolnshire flags they fly in their gardens and business premises. You rarely see Notts people flying the county’s Robin Hood flag. Anyone here fly one?

• Like 1

My BiL has a tiny sticker on his car rear window. I've never seen any for sale, so any ideas folks. 

When I was much younger and impressionable, I had lots of badges sown or pinned on my Forest scarf. In addition to the many Forest ones, I had a sow on flag of St George, a badge depicting the shape of Texas with a Confederate flag on it. Another with the Red Hand of Ulster. 

On the car nowadays is just the National Trust sticker, and one from the Great Central Railway at Loughborough.

Not many indiginous Notts people to fly the flag Phil, if you look at the amount of litter and chewing gum on the streets of the city you can tell there is no pride in the place,such a shame because it is a beautiful city,

DSCF4431.jpg

Rog

• 1 month later...