23 hours ago, MargieH said:

I think he probably left when my friend left in 1961...

Rob.L and MargieH

I found the old CLeWS site here http://www.carltonlewillowsgs.org.uk/Publishing Area/Home Frame.html and it is still live - I have it online in another window just now.  The full pupil/class lists still exist.

Might be worth trying a download of the whole site, as it didn't come up on a Google search the past few days -  found the link by searching my download history.  It's also available via the Wayback machine if you put the above address in

I've added this post on the Plains Road Primary thread too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi MargieH,   I never really got on with CleWs - never wanted to go there in the first place - my preference was for Bramcote Hills, but as a mere 10 year old my preference counted for nothi

Reading recent comments on the Manning School topic about what our teachers did in WW2 has prompted me to source the following link about my French teacher (and form teacher for 2 years) at Carlton Le

She didn’t improve with age. I was made to do a handstand against the wall in one of her maths lessons.   I was sorely tempted to let down the tyres on her old Rover P5 tank.

C22, Pleased you've found the old CLeWS site.  I have seen it before but it'still holds some interest.  Are you going to become a member of  the new one?

This older site is a well researched and presented document, and deserves to stand as both a valuable information source, as well as a tribute to Roger Pikett and the others who have contributed to its development.

Rob.L having taken a longer second look, I have to agree my memory too is better than I thought, and I'm older than you.

MargieH, the answer is I might do, but will monitor this and other threads for while.  I'm in Nottingham on 18th December to do some advice and organisational work for the UNISON region university branches.  Still doing a little real work now and again!

• Upvote 1

I'm still trying to trace Suzette Fletcher - 1957 - ex Mapperley Plains (lived on Haywood Rd).  May have married and moved Birmingham way.

Anthony E Piggin (Bramcote) was my cousin and sadly, died many years ago, (1974/5?) electrocuted on a faulty gas boiler in a new home - not in Nottingham I might add.  

I did know a Susie Fletcher who came from around that way in 1962/63. She was a comptometer operator at the accountants Hubbart Durose and Pain on Park Row. A bit of a ‘lively’ sort of girl. She married Robert Bastow who lived in the same area. He went to work at Gascoines estate agents as a trainee but sadly he died at a very young age. They did live somewhere off Westdale Lane. She will no doubt have remarried. She was a pretty game girl!

• 5 months later...

Well they are my age, sadly, and would have been in my year but I have never heard of them.  Is that their maiden names Den?   It’s possible they were at Carlton-le-Willows Tech, next door to the Grammar school.  We didn’t mix much with that lot :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Den, I’ve looked on the (almost) complete list of pupils for those days and there was a Susan Clark 2 years younger than me but can’t see a Kath Tunney

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I left the school in 1960 when I was 17.   Perhaps the history teacher you mention replaced Syd Wood who left the school around that time, I believe.   He married a friend of mine in my year a few years after that.  They are still happily married - well over 50 years now!  

David Turner, I think we were in the same form in our early years at C-Le-W, with Mr Richardson being our form teacher in the 2nd year.  

Have you seen any of news coverage this year about Miss Eve Prager (Leadbeater)?  She was an 8 year old who escaped Nazi Germany on Kindertransport in 1939 and was brought up by a local couple.  Her brother should have been on the train too but didn’t make it an ended up in Auschwitz, never to be seen again.   She was my form teacher in 4th and 5th year.   

Yes I was in Form 2R, then 3G and 4P before moving to Northumberland.

The “P” in 4P was for Prager; I didn’t know of her background.

I was sad to hear that Ralph Richardson died in January-a really great teacher who generated such enthusiasm; it was partly down to him that I read History at University.

Other staff I recall were Dai Roberts ( PE),Messrs Stamper, and Knowles (English),Lee ( Geog), Swaby and Drury (Maths), Lloyd and Miss Wyles ( French), and the “ Holy Trinity” Draycott, Bates and Miss Squires.

Miss Hall (later Smith) was our First Form class teacher.

In my day, Ike Stamper used to throw a board rubber at lads who weren't paying attention.  Perhaps he'd outgrown that (or had a directive from higher up?) by the time you two were at the school. 

I had Mr Swaby for Maths up to O Levek, and Mr Bates as my French and German teacher, also my form master in 3, 4 and 5G... he was my favourite.

Mr Lee taught me Geography up to O level and Miss Squires taught me A level French (didn't get on with her as much as Mr Bates, though)

Yep, all the same forms!  I understand Mr Richardson was Deputy Head when he moved to Redditch.  The majority of our teachers have now passed away which is understandable given our age!   Lewis Knowles just last year. He left C-Le-W in ‘66 and went to Arnold High. I bumped into him occasionally in Arnold when visiting my Dad.   Dai Roberts left when the Comprehensive system came into being. Was coach at Nottingham Rugby, then moved to Canada to take charge of the national team, came back here and worked as an estate agent with Gascoignes before settling back in Victoria BC. My brother-in-law knew him from living there. Dai passed away a few years ago. We had a great bunch of teachers but then it WAS the best school in Notts!  

Of course David, there’s a lot more than Carlton-Le-Willows on Nottstalgia, hope you enjoy the site and welcome!  

Are you still in the North East? 

Did it hit you, Lizzie?  If that happened these days,  there would be a Court case, I think!

• Upvote 1

Phil, Mr Swaby also escaped from Mellish when the new wonderful C le W opened.... both he and Stamper taught my brother at Mellish

11 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

He obviously moved to that better school in Gedling then Phil .......

Perhaps he went for a senior position with more money. I had the option of C le W as it had just opened but I preferred a school that had a modicum of tradition. I also knew people who were already there. Also, as I lived on Park Rd. in Woodthorpe it was a very short walk to Daybrook station for the 4 minute train ride. It was longer to walk at each end than the train journey took.

Only a short walk to get the number 25 bus, too, then you could have sat with me and my friends!   

I think at the time the majority of the boys at Arno Vale who passed the 11+ chose Mellish or Becket if Catholic. I can’t name any that went to C le W. I suppose the only other option for the girls was Brincliffe or West Bridgford. There was the other option of the High Schools, although you had to be outstanding to get a scholarship or pass the entrance exam and have parents who could afford the fees.