• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi MargieH,   I never really got on with CleWs - never wanted to go there in the first place - my preference was for Bramcote Hills, but as a mere 10 year old my preference counted for nothi

Reading recent comments on the Manning School topic about what our teachers did in WW2 has prompted me to source the following link about my French teacher (and form teacher for 2 years) at Carlton Le

She didn’t improve with age. I was made to do a handstand against the wall in one of her maths lessons.   I was sorely tempted to let down the tyres on her old Rover P5 tank.

The boys at Arno Vale were rather shy with girls then, if most went on to all-boy schools. On hindsight though Phil, it would have been so much easier to get to Gedling once you’d moved to the Trent Valley. 

We moved here the summer I finished in the 6th. form so the opportunity never arose. I then started my accountancy training in Nottingham so I had a long walk to and from the railway station until I had a car about a year later. I did drive past C le W every day then long before Colwick bypass was built.  

As for being shy with girls, we had been amongst them since we were five. We were glad to get away!

Phil, I sort-of remember the knife incident.   Julian Packer was at least one year below us.  Michael Fox went to Cle W I think - he had a brother called Paul, who was always good at painting and drawing.... lived on Maitland Road near the top of Greys Road.

I think Jeremy Gisborne didn't pass the 11+ and went to the Sec Mod in Arnold... Robert Mellors?  But don't know if he stayed there.

What DO you mean , being glad to get away from the girls!   You used to like our company if I remember correctly...

David if I gave my real name on here it would jeopardise my anonymity :ph34r:

I will send you a private message which you will find if you click on a little envelope at top right of the page.  I’m not really an undercover agent, it’s just that I’ve been LizzieM for many years (on here)! I’ll also list a few of our schoolfriends I am still/again in contact with, you may remember a few. 

4 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Miss Wood threw the board rubber at me during Maths!   I was sitting looking out of the window and wishing I was playing hockey 

She didn’t improve with age. I was made to do a handstand against the wall in one of her maths lessons.

I was sorely tempted to let down the tyres on her old Rover P5 tank.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Reading recent comments on the Manning School topic about what our teachers did in WW2 has prompted me to source the following link about my French teacher (and form teacher for 2 years) at Carlton Le Willows in the mid 60s.  
Eve Leadbeater was known back then as Miss Prager, a great teacher and we kids had no idea about her background.  

http://www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/eve-Leadbeater-event-Vernon-Coaker-Netherfield/. 

• Like 3

Thanks for that Lizzie.  Really interesting to read how she came to England.   I think it must have been after my time at the school as I don't remember her.. wish I had known her.

She was a very kind, gentle teacher Margie and looking back I don’t remember even a hint of an accent but then she’d been in England over 20 years.  I had a chat with her a few years ago at one of the big reunions held at the school, but it wasn’t until I saw her on the TV news a couple of years ago that I knew anything about her past.   

Yes, Miss Prager was my favourite teacher, too. She gave me a lot of support as she seemed to recognise that I had an affinity for the French language.

I never knew about her having been on the Kindertransport until a few years ago.

• 3 years later...

My memories of Carlton le willows was as it's last year of having the first years in the building opposite the fire station and the rest of the school at its current site, we used to go for football/rugby on a Friday morning to the main school. A grabd old building which had old ink well desks. Seems nothing changes as the teachers were on strike for most of the year and we would get primitive print outs with our schedule on due to teachers being in or out on strike.