Always liked photos of old buildings and ruins of any description, and I think I've just become the oldest urban explorer in Notts!

Thought I'd have a look round the old Chase Farm in Mapperley (what "No Entry" signs, Guv?!) before they put the new road through from the new Chase Farm housing development.

This is one of the pics I took.

Chase_Farm20180930_14.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Some scope for an entrepreneurial property developer there !

The farm used to be owned, pre war, by my uncle’s father, Elijah Burton. He built a lot of houses in Woodthorpe, Maitland Rd., Breckhill, Grafton Avenue etc. He was also a coal merchant with a yard between Station St. and Queen’s Rd and a large garage/workshop behind some houses at the top of Maitland Rd. I don’t know what he did with the farm and there’s nobody alive to ask now.

• Like 1

Afforgorrit, love the photo. Theres no end of derelict cascine around here. The old folk have gone and their descendants dont want to know. They all go to the bigger cities.

We are a group of 6 cascine joined in an "L" shape , theres only 3 occupied. Theres a more modern house further down the road and next to that a bungalow. Opposite theres a very uptodate house that belongs to the son of our next door neighbours. A very old hamlet dating to about 1880. Our lounge has a date on the ceiling of 1886 but that part was added before that date.

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The farm used to be owned, pre war, by my uncle’s father, Elijah Burton. He built a lot of houses in Woodthorpe, Maitland Rd., Breckhill, Grafton Avenue etc. He was also a coal merchant with a yard between Station St. and Queen’s Rd and a large garage/workshop behind some houses at the top of Maitland Rd. I don’t know what he did with the farm and there’s nobody alive to ask now.

You mention houses at the top of Maitland Road - I presume the side that backed on to the brickyard?  Those houses had quite long, narrow gardens - I had a friend who lived in one of them and we used to climb over her bottom garden fence to play in the brickyard

Yes, Margie. There was quite a large garage building and it backed onto the brickyard. I remember climbing out of the window onto the field. It was behind the houses at the very top of Maitland Rd. which I believe he built and was approached down a narrow driveway.

Phil, I've just checked on Street View and I seem to remember my friend's house was next door but one to the one with the drive next to it.  My friend was called Mavis Hemsley  and she was a couple of years older than me I think.  She went to Church Drive school in Arnold.  Just think, Phil, when you were climbing out of that shed window, you may have seen us making clover chains on the grassy part of the brickyard!  You could have joined us.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A few more ... and an extract of a poem by Joyce Kilmer.

Chase_Farm20180930_15.jpg

Was this the cow shed, I wonder?

Chase_Farm20180930_03.jpg

Chase_Farm20180930_09.jpg

" ... But a house that has done what a house should do,
a house that has sheltered life,
That has put its loving wooden arms around a man and his wife,
A house that has echoed a baby's laugh and held up his stumbling feet,
Is the saddest sight, when it's left alone, that ever your eyes could meet.

"

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

Oh, if anyone knows of anymore abandoned buildings, even if you can't get in them, I'd be interested to have a look.

In the same area, if you go into the flats complex named Appleton Gardens, drive straight down to the end (Streetview goes right in) and there's another disused farm house.

https://goo.gl/maps/gQrNUMHsT252

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

Just a few derelict buildings along our road. they are all one property. The one without the roof I have seen inside but theres no entry in at the moment.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Continuing the theme ...

Chase Farm is in now in the process of being demolished, so got in just in time. Now gated, CCTV'd etc., so no chance of getting in.

Wandered down to Appleton Gardens to check out the old house that Cliff Ton mentioned. For all you terminally nostalgic folk out there (like me) took a few photos. Not quite as photogenic as the farm, but ...

Appleton-Gardens-190106-3.jpg

Appleton-Gardens-190106-4.jpg

Appleton-Gardens-190106-5.jpg

Looks like it was a very nice property in its day. All locked and bolted so no interiors I'm afraid. One of the residents of the flats told me that planning permission has been submitted to demolish and build, but they are protesting on access grounds.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, philmayfield said:

Elijah Burton was my great grandfather - I know very little of my family history so any info you have would be fab :)

• Like 1