Not much in the news archives .

On the death in 1949 of a Helen Winifred Ransom , The Old Vicarage , Westhorpe was given as her residence . She was an active church worker .

She was the second wife of D'Oily Scott Ransom  a Nottingham solicitor  and Registrar of the Diocese of Southwell (previous to his death in 1932 ) . At that time their address was given as Wyverton Hall .

Helen Winifred Ransom (nee Fowler) was the daughter of George Fowler manager of Babbington Colliery . She married D'Oily Scott Ransom in 1896 .

After her death it would appear the Council bought it in 1950 to convert to an old folks home at a cost of 8500 pounds ! Whether it actually went ahead not sure !

Edit from the Old Vicarage website :

it was then sold to the Nottingham County Council who subsequently opened its doors to guests as an old age peoples home and respite care. Sadly for the local community this was closed in 1999. Unfortunately after standing empty for several years, the building went into disrepair but was saved and extensively refurbished by Suzanne Fitzpatrick who bought the property in 2005, in an auction with a dream to turn the very much dilapidated building into something special, which after 2 very long and hard years she did. Bringing to life what is now the beautiful and exclusive Vicarage Boutique Hotel.
The Old Vicarage Boutique Hotel opened its doors to the public for the first time on the 1st May 2009. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

She was the second wife of D'Oily Scott Ransom  a Nottingham solicitor 

D'Oily.......... that's a name you don't come across very often.  Unless you're talking about the paper things, or operas.

• Like 1

I used to watercolour paint doilies to make them look pretty  when I was little -  loved it

21 hours ago, MargieH said:

I used to watercolour paint doilies to make them look pretty  when I was little -  loved it

Margie you and i seem to have had the same childish hobbies, did you also fold paper into squares cut shapes and make your own dollies.