'The Flying Scot' -1957 film.

This is a film I recall seeing a few times as a 'B' movie in the cinema.  It concerns an attempt to rob a train of cash.  It's a pretty poor movie to be honest. but quite good fun... so when it came up in the listings for the 'Talking Pictures' channel .. I recorded it.  I've just watched it and noticed that the train pulls out being hauled by what looks a bit like a 'Scot' or similar engine.. though not seen too clearly.  A little later the same train is being hauled by a fully streamlined 'Coronation' class and yet later by a rather indistinct thing which might be a B1..  Later still another loco, this time with smoke deflectors.  And when the train finally pulls into the station for the last scenes, it is very clearly being hauled by a Great Western engine.. possibly a Hall or a Castle.. I'm not 'up' on such things.

I knew British Railways was a bit flakey after WW2, but I never imagined they'd have to change engines five or six times on a single run...  :wacko:

I'll have another look when I get a minute. There may be even more locos.

Sorry know knowt about trains so not sure if the Flying Scot is ficticious or the same as The Flying Scotsman .

The latter made its first ever trip to Cornwall yesterday and my local Facebook groups have been full of photos of the event .

People were on every vantage point to get pics as it wended its way from Plymouth to Penzance . 

Near Redruth yesterday .....(not my photo).

43421439_2070346469684594_33323658682721

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw Flying Scot on Talking Pictures yesterday, I agree that the "feature locomotive" was indeed a Castle Class. I wondered though if the film was used as a blueprint for the real Great Train Robbery. The principle being that a large amount of money was being conveyed by train and that the best way to get the money of the train was to drop it off a bridge. Far fetched I know but did somebody get inspiration from the film. Finally I believe the train terminated at Paddington, does anybody agree with this. Railfan

• Like 1

Castle class loco's regularly ran into Paddington, as this was the London terminus of the Great Western Railway / BR Western Region.