Did you do a stupid thing

It's a fairly common cry in this house, 'Ah there it is, I've been looking for that'. Ask what anyone here is looking for and they invariably answer 'a wire brush'. I you want to find a missing object don't look for it, search instead for a wire brush and you will discover everything BUT a wire brush.

• Like 3

I have often said to my wife "If it is useful you will hide it" I still dont know what she has done with my sandwich grill. 

Before she went to Russia we were in a hotel and I could not find my reading glasses. I started chuntering, and she tapped her head. I chelped back that I was not mad. She tapped her head again and pointed to my head. My head. That is where the reading glasses were. 

• Upvote 1

When i am working i usually pull my hair into a bun then put the pen/pencil into said bun so i don't lose it. You can probably guess where this is going,  i am looking everywhere for my pen and never find it till it falls on the floor. At the moment i am looking for a pair of scissors that have been missing for 4 days i know that when i buy a new pair tommorow they will turn up.

• Upvote 1

It doesn’t matter how seasoned a traveller you are but when it comes to going through airport security there’s usually something that causes stress and slight panic.  We were at East Midlands Airport the other morning at the unearthly time of 6am.  We only had carry-on bags, put everything into the trays provided, having taken iPads, phones, liquids, belts and change out of pockets and bags.  I went through the scanner thingy without being frisked but my husband was stopped and had to take his shoes off and then frisked.  Meanwhile I retrieved the trays and bags off the end of the scanner and waited for him to get his shoes back on.  I looked in his tray and noticed his belt wasn’t there so I went looking for it, getting annoyed because it was nowhere to be seen. Then we realised he was already wearing it, neither of us had noticed he’d put it back on!  Doh!  

• Like 3

Episode 2.

We decided to barbeque. Although the chalet inventory said we had a full bottle of gas, I decided to check. Turned the knob and had a quick sniff to satisfy myself the gas was coming through, then we all went off to the shop. 

On returning I tried to light the bbq - no gas!

Quietly seething I rang the number the rep had given us and complained vociferously. He was very apologetic and promised to come immediately - which chalet was I stayling in?

He seemed a bit non-plussed when I told him P41 and asked me to hang on whilst he checked his map. Then he came back and asked me if I could describe where it was. Then he said, “We haven’t got a P41”

I’m afraid I blew my top. “What do you mean you haven’t got a P41! I’m staying in it! I’m standing outside looking at the plaque on the wall, it says P41 in BLOODY BIG LETTERS!!!”

Then my son-in-law appeared, waving frantically. He had idly picked up the bit of paper with the telephone number on it and tried it. He whispered, “this number is ringing out! Who are YOU talking to!?”

I stopped mid-flow ....... long pause ....... goodbye!

I had apparently mis-read the last digit and was ringing a rep on a different campsite.

Our rep fiddled with the valve a bit, fixed it in about 10 seconds, and we used the full gas bottle for the rest of the fortnight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ah yes, doing stupid things in airports.  I did a beaut last year. 

I use a black pack for all my travels. It has everything I need in it. I took it camping before we booked a flight to Pisa. I usually have a fair sized camping knife which is totally necessary. Necessary for camping, not to go to Italy with. Yep, I still had it in the bottom of my black bag when I went through security and found a surprising number of police around me. It took some explaining, but they accepted by story. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Gem said:

When i am working i usually pull my hair into a bun then put the pen/pencil into said bun so i don't lose it. You can probably guess where this is going,  i am looking everywhere for my pen and never find it till it falls on the floor. At the moment i am looking for a pair of scissors that have been missing for 4 days i know that when i buy a new pair tommorow they will turn up.

You’ve checked your bun I assume ?!! 

Years ago, when airport security had just become  a massive issue, my husband was relieved of a Swiss Army knife that he’d kept in his briefcase for years, never used it but it had always travelled with him.   He ALWAYS travels with just cabin luggage, even when he’s away for several weeks, and always takes a disposable razor in his washbag and it’s never been taken off him.  

I was flying to Italy with a friend some time ago and her favourite tweezers were confiscated.  She nearly cried! 

• Like 3

I was in Dublin airport at the time of the ‘troubles’ and was asked if I’d got any guns or explosives. I thought it was a pretty stupid question so I said ‘yes, a suitcase full’. He just waved me on! On another occasion myself and a colleague were being driven by a German chap from Germany into Switzerland. This was a more thorough border search where we were spreadeagled over the bonnet of the car and frisked whilst another officer pointed a gun at us!

• Upvote 1

When we were returning home from Australia my husband had bought a big chefs knife. Being on the safe side we declared it, no problem  we're still using it. It was in hold luggage not carry on baggage.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to steam clean carpets/wooden flooring. Filled it with water, plugged it in, switched it on nothing. Turned switch on and off a few times still nothing. Decided to dismantle it to see what was wrong. Took ages to get it back together, tried again still nothing. Looked at plug, wasn’t switched on. Going back to bed for rest of day!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't exactly stupid but I made the coffee this morning.  I put 8 cups of water plus the coffee in, turned it on and went on to other things.  Then the ready beep sounded.  Only four cups in the pot.  The rest of the water was all over the counter top.  I took the offender out to the shed and attacked it with a big screwdriver.  It had thos funny headed screws in it designed to thwart repair attempts.  I threated it with the dump if it would not cooperate.  Long story short it co operated.  A piece of plastic pipe had come off the water tank because the clip had never been put on Properly.  I did surgery and told it never to do that again.  It was concieve and born in a certain far eastern country.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1