Nottinghams Heritage Assets

Wasn’t that part of Griffin and Spalding? I was always amazed that the planning authorities allowed that design through. The planners can be a bit of a law unto themselves though. Some years ago in Newark and Sherwood the chief planning officer wouldn’t allow extensions to older buildings in the villages to blend in and they had to look like a new build. This resulted in some hideous structures. Over the years the occupiers have altered them and now they blend perfectly!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh. I love the Nottingham of my childhood, but there it remains. In my childhood. The fogs, the smells, the buildings, the buses and the neighbourhoods. All a long time ago.   I do think tha

I definitely agree with that. Especially in terms of buildings and architecture, there’s a tendency to think “old is good, new is bad”, without apparently realising that everything which is now old wa

At least the Council are addressing the issue, which can only be a good thing. As stated, much of the 'heritage assets' already have protection via various statutes. I can understand folk being upset

15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Some years ago in Newark and Sherwood the chief planning officer wouldn’t allow extensions to older buildings in the villages to blend in and they had to look like a new build. 

They should have entombed him under one of them. Philistine!

Don't forget it's the offending block(s). Griffins owned all those buildings, up to and including that part with the Pearl advertising. I think that part was constructed quite early '50s, to use a recent architectural term a 'fag-packet' slid in sideways. Very different but you can see some sympathy though, in the roofline height. The Mikado caff, part of Griffins of course, must have been demolished about ten years later. I recall seeing a picture somewhere showing the demolition with the scaffolding, early '60s. The new replaced bit was matching facade, roofline slightly lower to complement the buildings either side.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 12:20 AM, LizzieM said:

Tug wouldn’t have allowed the layabouts to hang around there for long. He knew how to move us lot on when we were teenagers!!  

"You don't behave like that in MY Square....." !

I remember Sgt. Tug Wilson well, he was a Nottingham institution. Btw I hasten to add, he never had cause to say that to me! :)

Interesting to see different opinions of the progress of the future. On my way into the village this morning I noticed what a lot of shops are closing down here too. Things do change as do fashions so that could be said of shops closing that they have exhausted their need . The buildings do however stay the same but its the disappearance of something you've been used to and you miss. Until recently (a couple of years ago) we had no traffic islands in the village, now they are sprouting everywhere, some were definitely needed  but other seem to shout

" now where do we go“ 

• Like 1

I think what happens Nonna is that the closing of the small shops weakens the sense of community.  I remember as a kid my mum knew most of the shopkeepers in Netherfield by name and they knew her.  Somehow it made the whole shopping experience a more friendly outing.  Prices in the mega stores may be cheaper but something important has been lost.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our village shop closed three years ago. What a centre of information that was! We still have a pub but the old lady gossipmongers don’t frequent that so I have to rely on what snippets my wife brings in from her walk when she goes to collect the newspaper which is left in a box in the village. I would go myself but she enjoys the gossip!

• Like 1

If you want to know the latest go to the local shops, its amazing what you end up with, half of it not true

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish I had known Jill Sparrow when I lived in Nottm! I used to make and play the lute, and still love early music above any other kind (except perhaps a bit of proper 50s rock'n'roll!

Anyone who loves the mediaeval era and cats must be a good person.

• Like 1

Oh, I am, Long John!  The lute is a lovely instrument but, I would imagine, not easy to play.  I have recordings of Julian Bream playing the lute. Yes, I love early music from Gregorian Chant to Tudor Dance music. When I was teaching, I always had a Tudor Dance group complete with costumes. I'm not a 20th century person and certainly not a 21st century person.  Cats are adorable in any century though.

Jill: Julian Bream is a splendid musician, but ideas about playing the lute have moved on. Can I recommend you listen to these two:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wilson_(lutenist)

https://www.shazam.com/track/56307370/1-allegro-giusto

I used to have lessons with Tom Finucane, poor man!

I also used to go out with a lady in Birmingham who ran (runs) a Renaissance dance group. I have danced in Catherine the Great's throne room in St Petersburg.

• Like 1

I will certainly look into those, Long John.

Very impressed with your dance venues!  My dancing on the stage of The National Theatre seems a bit bleak by comparison but I did conduct the school choir there standing on a podium where, I was assured, Leonard Bernstein had stood before me!