Nottinghams Heritage Assets

Nottingham’s heritage assets to be celebrated and given extra protection

I wish they'd done this years ago before they ripped Nottingham apart.

Nottingham's Local List

Nottingham’s historic buildings that are not currently formally recognised are going to be given extra protection under a new scheme being introduced by the City Council.

The council has approved the adoption of a heritage local list, which will ensure that a number of the city’s most treasured heritage assets currently not given national protection through Historic England listing, are protected and remain a key part of the city’s heritage for the benefit of future generations.

Many of the city’s most significant historic buildings and heritage assets are protected either by national listing, such as Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments or Registered Parks and Gardens or due to their location, such as being in a conservation area. However, many more significant buildings, historic landscapes and archaeological remains are not formally recognised, meaning they are at risk of being overlooked and being lost through demolition.

Local Lists help highlight key heritage assets, which showcase the city’s history, providing a link to its unique past. Local Lists differ from national schemes as they draw attention to assets that are special because they are locally important.

Nottingham already has an established Local List, developed by the Nottingham Civic Society from an earlier list produced by the council some years ago, but the list is not officially adopted and therefore offers no additional protection. Improving the list and formally adopting it means the City Council can now consider these valued assets as part of the planning process. This will provide some level of protection, including in any future developments, and so help to put them to best use as Nottingham grows.

Local residents will also be able to put forward possible entries for the list, recognising and celebrating the city’s diverse heritage and the contribution communities have made to the history of the city.

Councillor Jane Urquhart, Nottingham City Council’s Portfolio Holder for Planning, Housing & Heritage, said, “A number of projects are underway to help transform and regenerate the city. We’re really proud of Nottingham’s fascinating history and heritage and we’re working with partners and stakeholders to help restore and preserve some of Nottingham’s much loved historic buildings and assets.

“These assets not only showcase the city’s unique character and history but by preserving them and in some cases protecting them and bringing them back into use, they also help boost tourism and create jobs.”

Nottingham is a hive of activity when it comes to heritage led regeneration. In 2017 Nottingham was named one of Historic England’s Heritage Action Zones where grant funding is available for external works to historic buildings, including shop fronts in the Old Market Square, Lace Market or Sneinton Market Conservation Area. One of the Heritage Action Zone projects helps local people to enhance the draft Local List.

Grant funding towards the cost of conservation projects is also available in the Carrington Street Area, where a number of projects are underway to help restore and preserve buildings and shop fronts under the Heritage Lottery funded Townscape Heritage Scheme.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh. I love the Nottingham of my childhood, but there it remains. In my childhood. The fogs, the smells, the buildings, the buses and the neighbourhoods. All a long time ago.   I do think tha

I definitely agree with that. Especially in terms of buildings and architecture, there’s a tendency to think “old is good, new is bad”, without apparently realising that everything which is now old wa

At least the Council are addressing the issue, which can only be a good thing. As stated, much of the 'heritage assets' already have protection via various statutes. I can understand folk being upset

Especially when some of the dumps currently listed are mind boggling ! 

I think we have lost our city that we knew and loved. 

1/ Black Boy Hotel

2/ County Hotel

3/ Drury Hill

4/ Flower Bed's and fountain's Market Square/ Slab Square.

5/ Real Shop's (we should never have copied off the USA with shaping malls) ex Broad Marsh shopping centre 

6/ Central Market  did we need it? yes take a look at Hyson Green market their are always lots of folk shopping there

7/ What has happened to the Embankment? where have all the rowing boats gone? OHHH I know they have all turned into sh!!!!! machines called Canadian Geese. No longer can sit/relax on the grass.

8/Wash house bottom of Bath St  Could this not have been used for history sessions.

9/ All the builds around Shakespeare St (at least with the Uni being in them they are safe at the moment from the planners)

10/ We must not for get this is PROGRESS for our city. 

There must be a lot more buildings and changers that have gone these are these are just a few that I can remember.

PS I was out side the council house the other day NOTICE DO NOT SIT ON THE STEPS!!! Who are these people.

PPS Could some one please tell me why do we call it Slab Square Yes I know that it is covered in Slabs but it did not used to be,

• Like 4

I left the city in the late 1970's in the midst of all of this destructive vandalism. I was VERY saddened about what was happening at that time both to the fabric of the city itself and to its citizens - I was living on Sherwood Rise and working at Gerard's, Wilkinson Street and very frequently had cause to go through Forest Fields and Hyson Green - twice daily, in fact. This was before the riots but, even then, there was a foreboding atmosphere of things to come.

Courtesy of Google I have been able to see some of the destruction that has taken place since my time in the city and I really cannot imagine what it would be like now to live there.

I have thought in the past few years of paying a visit to Nottingham but, since joining Nottstalgia and finding out what is really happening, the emotional strain would be just too much.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Best forget about returning even for a short visit.  You'd be extremely disappointed and annoyed at the difference.

Things definitely weren't perfect fifty years ago, but these days the 'experts' have ruined the city.

Then of course the population has changed for the worse too, and that also makes a vast difference to the surroundings.

• Like 3

I have to agree there is much that is changed in this city for the worse , but to not visit again is a mistake. Take a walk around the Lace market, the Park and the recreation parks . Even walk around the shopping areas not looking at the window displays look up and see the many fantastic buildings that are still there. There is more left in this great city of ours than has been destroyed , lets not condemn it to the dustbin of history.

• Like 5

As well as the architectural losses in the city, there is also the loss of “real” shops. If you look around the city centre there’s a very narrow range of goods you can buy from the shops which are still operating.  Look at photos of the city centre from the 1950s or earlier and you’ll see shops selling everything, including food, hardware, clothing, electrical goods, furniture etc.

These days it's predominantly fast food takeaways, mobile phone shops, nail bars, coffee shops, travel agents and Poundstretcher.

There’s now little point going into the city centre because there’s such a narrow range of products to buy from the few shops still open.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree that there are still some wonderful buildings which have not been pulled down. The Lace Market is a prime example. What saddens me is that I remember when it was a bustling area of industry back in the 60’s  and has now become a residential and ‘clubbing’ area.

• Like 1

Still miss Burton's under the Council House. It was worth walking round for the smell alone. My dad loved that shop! I didn't realise until recent years that there was a much smaller one in Alfreton. Long gone now!

• Like 2

We used to have an outpost of Burton’s in nearby Southwell back in the 60’s. It subsequently became a Fine Fare which was a bit downmarket for the town. I went to Southwell Co-Op yesterday and collected my purchases in a Lidl bag. I hope I wasn’t spotted!

At least the Council are addressing the issue, which can only be a good thing. As stated, much of the 'heritage assets' already have protection via various statutes. I can understand folk being upset when things change but the fact remains that change occurs for a reason, public needs alter and time moves on.

Mary mentions the Black Boy, before my time so I can't comment, what was so special about it? The County Hotel I can remember, I went into the bar from time to time. It was a bar, nothing more. I don't miss it. Drury Hill, often mentioned as another Shambles. My recollection of it was that, a shambles, pokey, smelly, scruffy very little of interest in the '60s and past it's sell-by date.

The Central Market, I remember as a kid, a bustling and interesting place to go. That was before supermarkets, shopping centres, out-of-town parks. When it was re-sited in the Vic Centre all the atmosphere was lost, however the 'market' environment was on the way out and if you wander round these days it's half-empty and hanging on by a thread. How many of us shop on markets these days for anything other than an occasional purchase? We discuss shopping and the loss of 'real' shops as a regular topic, the City Centre shops are dwindling because they can't make a viable profit. Customers want lowest prices when rents, rates and other costs are rising and the internet is big competition. It's what has evolved from changing customer habits, the whole concept of contemporary shopping is a world away from the pre-70s. City Centres are dwindling the same as traditional High Streets and uses other than retail will need to be found   

It's a big shame about the Market Square and I share the view of many on here. However we need to remember the majority of folk who use it are much younger, they may not even know what the old Square looked like and may well be perfectly happy with it. The situation on the Embankment is a disgrace. I pass along there a couple of times a week, it's virtually empty of vehicles due to the ridiculous parking arrangements, nothing like the numbers of people enjoying the amenity than there were a couple of years ago. And yes, the crapping geese having been ousted for a while, have returned again with a vengeance.

As phil says, the Lace Market was a bustling area when it served an industrial purpose. That no longer exists but it's good to see it's still a bustling upmarket residential area with much of the original architecture.   

I don't think we have any choice but to accept tempus fugit and all that brings with it. We may not be happy with it but at least we can savour those memories .  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3
37 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

We used to have an outpost of Burton’s in nearby Southwell back in the 60’s. It subsequently became a Fine Fare which was a bit downmarket for the town. I went to Southwell Co-Op yesterday and collected my purchases in a Lidl bag. I hope I wasn’t spotted!

You may have been in there at the same time as my auntie whose first husband was Arthur Miller...not THAT Arthur Miller...with whom you once worked. She lives in Southwell and whizzes round on her mobility scooter!

5 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

She lives in Southwell and whizzes round on her mobility scooter!

I was in Southwell the other day, it was like a scaled-down version of the Monaco Grand Prix with mad OAPs racing about on those scooters. I'm sure they go faster than the permitted limit, I reckon there must be scooter-tuning places somewhere.

• Like 1

Reading this thread has been interesting.  Sad, but intereresting.  I left in 1970, for many reasons that I won't bore you with now.  I have been back several times for a holiday.  Last time was 1997.  I spent most of that time around Gedling, and exploring Netherfield.  Even there I found some of the changes disturbing.  The whole character was changed.  I suppose that is one of the reasons I like it on  NS.  At least the character of so many folks here has not changed.  I guess it proves the old saying though.  You can never go back.

Edited to add.   I just re read TBI's post an he makes some good points.  I think if I had to sum it up I would say.  we have memories of a certain time 50 s /60s.  we do not remember what it was like before that.  Maybe our parents were already dissatisfied with the way things were going.  Those born since those decades have really not known it any different so are probably ok with it.  In fifty years time they will be lamenting the changes as we are now.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

With whom I once worked? Don't recollect your aunt or Arthur Miller. Can you clarify?

Perhaps I have the wrong person but I thought it was you who worked with him at the City Treasury. Apologies if I'm mistaken!

Yes, wrong person, I’ve never worked at the City Treasury although they were clients of my firm when I was in the accountancy profession. I do remember them having a gigantic computer which occupied a large air conditioned room back in the 60’s. That was the first computer I’d ever seen. At the Nottingham Corporation Water department on Castle Boulevard men were still sitting/standing at Dickensian desks writing with pen and ink in huge bound ledgers!

Hi TBI  The Black Boy I can just remember the out side with it's carvings was beautiful. as you walked into reception facing you was a massive mahogany staircase at the bottom, were two statues  of two little boy dressed in turban's and stately cloths it was shear luxury, when I started work my boss took us to the County Hotel for a Christmas meal, all I can remember are the very large mural's on the walls.

TBI 

Drury hill!   have you ever been to Lincoln?    at the side of the cathedral they kept their old shop's re- repaired them now the draw people from all over the world.

Markets you either like them or hate them but when ever you go on holidays there is always a trip to the local market and it's always full. 

Like you say we can not go back but we can make sure the planers don't mess our city up again.

• Like 1

Add to a post I wrote a couple of hours ago!!!

Council House notice DON'T SIT ON THE STEPS 

NEXT IT WILL BE DON'T SIT ON OUR LIONS.

AGAING I ASK WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE THE COUNCIL HOUSE BELONG'S TO THE PEOPLE OF NOTTINGHAM