found ww1 paperwork - Gething family, Bathley St.

Hi I have some paperwork from 1919 from the war graves commision,

sent to a mr's gething pf 6 Bayford cottages Bathley st nottingham,

wondering If anyone knows any living relative I could return it it,

it concerns a corporal s h gething and his french grave.

many thanks.

Can't help with any living relatives but thought your S.H.Gething was probably a Sydney Horace Gething , born 1887 in Hucknall to a John and Eliza Gething . 

1901 they are living 13 High Street Titchfield Tce Hucknall .

In 1911 there's a marriage to an Ethel Ellen Lakin .

Same year 1911 they are living at 7 Beauvale Rd , Nottm with Ethel's family with surnames of Lakin and Green.

There's a possible daughter born Nottingham ,1911 called Ivy Florence Gething and a marriage for a lady with that name to Joseph E Rose in 1931 .

Slight discrepancy in that this Cpl. Sydney Gething was buried at Abeele Aerodrome Military Cemetery Belgium in 1918 .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've done some research on him too.  Agree with David on wife - Ethel Ellen is named as his wife in his Army service records, and the addresses matches the one you have.  One daughter, as David says - Ivy Florence, who married Joseph E Rose.  Ivy and Joseph appear to have had 2 sons, both born in the 1930's.  One of the sons has died, and haven't found  the other one, although have found a marriage for him.  Perhaps investigating  S H Gething's siblings and their descendants, assuming he had some, would be worth doing, as it's quite an unusual surname

• Like 1

Found who I believe to be the son, who is on the Electoral Register  with his wife, but only up to 2011.  So, he may have died, or has just removed himself from the publically available electoral roll.  Online death records only go up to 2007, so I can't confirm whether or not he's died.  Doesn't look as though the house has been sold recently, though.  If you send me a private message, can give you the address - worth writing, just in case he or his wife are still there

• Like 1

Yes this paperwork confirms his plot in France, as soon as I have time I will put a copy on here,

On 10/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, DAVIDW said:

Can't help with any living relatives but thought your S.H.Gething was probably a Sydney Horace Gething , born 1887 in Hucknall to a John and Eliza Gething . 

1901 they are living 13 High Street Titchfield Tce Hucknall .

In 1911 there's a marriage to an Ethel Ellen Lakin .

Same year 1911 they are living at 7 Beauvale Rd , Nottm with Ethel's family with surnames of Lakin and Green.

There's a possible daughter born Nottingham ,1911 called Ivy Florence Gething and a marriage for a lady with that name to Joseph E Rose in 1931 .

Slight discrepancy in that this Cpl. Sydney Gething was buried at Abeele Aerodrome Military Cemetery Belgium in 1918 .