Old Photos Of Alfreton Road

Why do I think that Anglia coming up Alfreton Road in the first picture just got into The Windmill's car park just in time for the second picture to be taken?

Thanks for that Dave,,Alfreton road full of memories over the years,,reckon that grey mini van could have been the one Marsdens gave me to travel the midlands in,

Had a week in farrands AR to learn conversion to decimal currency,,used to frequent the Windmill mid 80s while converting Donna to Nottingham ways, ending with a nice curry next door,,also in my VG gibson days,,late 80s,,dealt with a store at the top end,,called Alfreton supermarket,,ran by a great character called Mick,,had coffee in the back of his shop once a week with many Nottingham ladies of the night,,

• Like 4
1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

Why do I think that Anglia coming up Alfreton Road in the first picture just got into The Windmill's car park just in time for the second picture to be taken?

Yes, it would be good wouldn't it. If only the first pic wasn't about 15 years later. :)

Photo #2 looks like funeral folks waiting outside The Windmill. #3 I stood at that bus stop every night after work for my bus home. Olivia Jude's shop was just past it. 

Brilliant. I remember Wealthalls vividly. Dads chippy was on the end of the row of shops to the left of the picture of the Capitol Cinema..

To the left of it is our old house on Truro Crescent. The first detached one on the bend at the top.

Superb.

• Like 2

Some terrific pictures there DaveN. Just about all of my family lived somewhere on the aerial photo that included all of my schools. Bentink, Windley and Berridge. Also St Michaels church opposite Bentink Rd School was still there.

ps Also looked like two of my aunties on the Blackpool trip.

• Like 1

There was a house just up from the crossroads, on the same side as Bentinck School, which was a doctor's surgery. It would be Victorian and was a 3 storey building. During my latter days in Nottingham, it was the practice of a Dr Verma but, many years earlier, it was the practice and home of a married couple, both GPs, named Cox.

My relatives, Emily and George who lived fairly close by in Garden Street, were good friends with the doctors' housekeeper, a lady named Vera Smith.  Male Dr Cox died and his wife retired to Mapperley Park. Vera stayed on as her housekeeper/companion eventually outliving the remaining doctor who, I gather, was a bit of a cantankerous battleaxe.