The Railway Inn, Long Eaton

this used to be a great Shippo,s house, but druggies started to use it and I may be wrong but one of the former tenants  was reputed to be involved in it all ,it was latterly a really nice restaurant, and has now turned into a tea shop,

• 4 years later...

Back in the 60’s I used to prepare the the monthly accounts for the lacemakers, R.Granger, on nearby New Tythe St. It only took me a day but it meant I was able to get steak and chips for lunch in the local Berni Inn, the Royal. My firm had a few clients in the area so I knew Long Eaton quite well. I used to go sometimes with a bunch of friends from the village to the Long Eaton stock car stadium on a Saturday evening. 

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

LOL.........Just noticed it tells you Long Eaton.........its me age...........sorry.............

You been on the wacky baccy  !!!!!

• Like 1

We locals when I used to live in Castle Don used to call it Moth Eaten. The building on the corner was the old Co Op. There was a fascinating drapers store on the Main Street which always looked as though it hadn’t changed since the 20’s.

They had one in Stapleford too........I did a few stints at the Coop you mention Mrs B....Plus i managed the Marsdens up Long eaton high street in 66........

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Railway Inn, Long Eaton

There was a cafe/restaurant in the centre of the town called the Oxford which I sometimes used. There was also the renowned restaurant called Grange Farm which you passed on the way in from Nottingham. Talking of Castle Don, there was a good restaurant there called the Priest House down by the river.

59 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

They had one in Stapleford too........I did a few stints at the Coop you mention Mrs B....Plus i managed the Marsdens up Long eaton high street in 66........

Stapleford one is still there. It is very quaint but not as much so as Long Eaton was. There is one in Eastwood too but that one I would just describe as odd.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

This, I'm pretty certain, shows the Marsden's in Long Eaton High Street, as mentioned by Ben.

ECJBnQu.jpg

Borrowed from the Francis Frith Archive.

Thats the one Cliff ton....looks like the early 50s...bit before my time....

1 hour ago, The Pianoman said:

Stapleford one is still there. It is very quaint but not as much so as Long Eaton was. There is one in Eastwood too but that one I would just describe as odd.

Screenshot-20230223-224415-Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There was a cafe/restaurant in the centre of the town called the Oxford which I sometimes used. There was also the renowned restaurant called Grange Farm which you passed on the way in from Nottingham. Talking of Castle Don, there was a good restaurant there called the Priest House down by the river.

Oh my goodness, Grange Farm at Toton used to make the BEST Sherry Trifle in the area. I can remember my dad taking some US friends there one night and they asked for a bucketful to take back to their hotel.

Spent many a night at the Priesthouse too. BM got barred from there when we set the fire alarm off at 3AM. A lot of history to the Priesthouse and a lovely walk down there from Donington Hall where I worked for so long under the chain bridge.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Beekay said:

The third in Pianoman' trilogy...

Screenshot-20230224-094309-Google.jpg

Eastwood.

That's a fairly recent picture. it was Marshall-Rowell. The people that actually own them are Marshalls. The shop with yellow next door is now Specsavers.