Where were these Trent photos taken (1)

Hi All

I have been exchanging photo's with an Australian Cousin I met through genealogy.

He thinks they were taken on the banks of the Trent in Nottingham in 1953.

I wonder if anyone could help me pinpoint where they were taken...any help would be most appreciated....sorry but it wont let me upload the other two, will try again later.

Harry , Ada and Flo.jpg

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I'm thinking Gainsborough at the moment... 

Many moons ago, I taught in Gainsborough for a year...and I try NOT to think about it.

Tried the quiz. Also scored 6.

I scored 4 - which isn't bad, I suppose, considering the length of time since I've set foot in Nottingham and its environs - as well as the number of 'modern' questions which I couldn't really be expected to know about e.g the capacity of Rock City. Rock City? What's that?

Back to the picture, it's definitely nowhere in Notts. Gainsborough is more industrial along the river. Can't think of anything like that Burton/Stoke way either. I'd be surprised if it's even the Trent.

• 2 weeks later...

sadbrewer hasn't managed to post the other two photos yet to give us a chance of identifying the location - although he has visited recently.

If you're struggling to understand the technicalities of posting photos, let us know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, philmayfield said:

Gainsborough’s a tip. I don’t think it was there.

Gainsborough is my nearest town and whilst it isn't the prettiest of small towns a lot of regeneration and redevelopment has gone on over recent years, especially along the river bank. I certainly wouldn't describe it as a tip. 

I did wonder if the photo was taken in Gainsborough although I can't relate the buildings to how it is now. I will show it to one or two friends who grew up there and see if they recognise it.

We lived out near Sturton le Steeple in the 70's so Gainsborough was very close. Like phil suggests, it wasn't the most appealing place and we didn't go there much. As regards the picture, it shows trees and buildings on the opposite bank. Certainly not like in the 70's, where it was still all open fields as I recall. 

I scored 6/10 anorl. The photo was definitely NOT taken on the Wick River bu tcould it haver been taken on the south bank of the Trent where the suspension footbridge now stands (Or stood when I lived in Nottingham).