• 4 weeks later...

There is a story in my family which relates to a maternal uncle, born in 1908, who married at Tibshelf Parish church in 1935.  His wife, the daughter of a Derbyshire mine worker, claimed to have worked at Wollaton Hall as a ladies' maid. She certainly had ideas way above her station in life which, it was presumed, she gained during her time at the Hall, watching how the wealthy lived. My uncle's family, with the odd exception, detested her and begged him to break off the engagement. However, before he could do so, she claimed to be pregnant and he had to go through with the wedding.

Her sister in law, my auntie Gladys, wife of my uncle's younger brother, once told me that this girl had been dismissed from her job at the Hall after being caught stealing. Granted, auntie Gladys detested her sister in law more than most but she always struck me as honest and was a devout Methodist so I can't see why she would invent such a tale.

The problem is that Wollaton Hall was purchased by Nottingham Corporation in 1925, at which point my uncle's wife would have been only 16 years old. That seems rather young for the position she claimed to hold. Does anyone know whether part of the Hall continued to used as a residence after 1925? 

I've looked in a couple of books I have which cover the subject, and they both say that Wollaton Hall opened as a Natural History Museum in 1926, not long after its sale & purchase. No mention of anyone else hanging around amongst the stuffed animals.

Yes, that's basically what I'd found, CT.  I did wonder whether perhaps she had worked for the family who had previously lived at the Hall and who moved elsewhere after it was sold?

I'd always understood she was working as a ladies' maid when she met my uncle in the early 30s.

We used to live in the next village to Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire, it was only built in the mid 1800s, 300 years after Wollaton Hall, by the Rothschild family and is an exact copy of Wollaton Hall.  It was used, along with Wollaton Hall as Wayne Manor in the Batman film.   Many years ago I had a tour of both properties and was able to go into areas of Wollaton Hall that are not now open to the public.  

Here is Mentmore Towers

3-A256-DDD-9-EB8-4003-B9-C9-EDDD7-C78-FF

• Upvote 1

Yes I knew it was used as Downton Abbey - not that I ever watched it either. according to Highclere's own website it was rebuilt as a castle by Charles Barry. Reckon it was in the Nottingham Evening Post where I read that they were both designed by the same person. I'll say no more  :huh:

• Upvote 1

Malcolm, I think Highclere Castle is in Berkshire. South of Clifton anyway ! 

Went to Highclere Castle many years ago to a Rover Club car rally. I thought it was in Surrey even then.  Just had to check and yes its in Berks.   :crazy:

Trying to remember the name of an Argentinian man who lived three doors up from us. If I remember correctly he was a curator at Woolaton Hall. He looked like an academic and had a gentle air and presence. His wife was very kind to us when dad was away in the army. His two daughters lived with us for a while before following their parents back to Argentina....must be an interesting story there.

• Upvote 1