• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That puerile, vacuous, inane, unfunny, callow, infantile Michael McIntyre (and tautology!)

#247: How about one of these:

This "Taking The Knee" malarkey, before every football match & sporting events, once was enough, but every match, NOW STOP IT 

All "Energy saving lamps" I've never had a single one that lasted anything like the 1,000hrs they claim.

PSSSTT Compo............. It's supposed to be 10,000 hours

And you mean to say you've got electrickery up there !!??

• Upvote 1

Mine seem to last about the same time as real bulbs. Any that last longer seem to go very dim, very quickly.

We tend to have more than a few power cuts in the far north - candles are very useful devices to have to hand :)

I must agree, I too have found they don't last as long as they are supposed to, but then again I've not got a stop watch that goes up to 10,000 hours so I've not been able to time them properly !!............ slywink

I did think of three or four thins for the room whilst out shopping for today.

But Darned if I can remember them now?

So, only one addition today... 'Memory Loss'

Home Office thought there was something fishy about his 'student visa'

The college had gone out of business many moons ago.

So he's been sent to room 101, (Pakistan sector)

One Pound Fish man Muhammad Nazir kicked out of Britain after YouTube hit gets hero's welcome in Lahore

Shame Abu Qatada didn't make a record?

• 2 weeks later...

I feckin' loathe those self-service desks. I always end up waiting for the superviser to come and reset something for me. I refuse to use them now.

Ditto with all the above points re self service checkouts! And the poor girl/lad on them always seem a hell of a lot more harrased than the rest of the staff at Morrisons put together, simply because they don't work properly.

In the 1960s-70s. When I wired check outs in new Coop shops, one of my jobs was to construct the electric panel.

This was a small wooden panel made by the joiner. I would fix this to the check out after adding a single 5amp socket,

'Battenholder' bathroom type lampholder and switch. The socket was to plug the till in, and the switched lampholder was for the

check out girl to check any lightbulbs purchased. Hi Tech stuff in them days.

Agree on the "self checkout" - they drive me insane (yes, I know, a short trip)! Over here the biggest problem seems to be that the "attendant" is too busy chatting with his/her friends about whatever to pay attention to what is going on.

They have recently installed them at Sam's Club (a retail warehouse type place) and, much to my surprise, they work VERY well - partly because you use a hand-held scanner to scan the codes. I guess it is the exception that proves the rule!

You probably don't have to load them on the weight sensative bagging area either. (Do you need approval before you can buy a can of beer too ?)

And woe betide you if you pick your bags up before it's finished the paying process and you've got your change (If you paid cash!) I hate the bloody things with a passion !!

True - at Sams you still need the OK to buy alcohol, but it does not have the weighed bagging thingy (there is no bagging)! In the supermarkets, the biggest hold-up is waiting for approval for beer, etc. The attendant NEVER seems to be paying attention!