I was going to put this in "Hobbies", but thought I'd encourage a wider audience to show us their bits as well!

For several years I was a not very successful metal detectorist. After a particularly lean 12 months with regards to finds (enough silver foil to have bought several guide dogs) I packed up and sold my detector. Wish I hadn't now, but trying to get a piece of land to detect on (as an individual rather that in a club) is very difficult, and I came to believe that the land that my club were detecting on was worked out.

Anyway, this is one of my perhaps more interesting finds, discovered in a field in Norwell.

Roman-Brooch.jpg

It's a Roman brooch of a type called a fibula. Just like a big safety pin. It would have been beautifully enamelled when it was last worn almost 2,000 years ago. I donated it to the Roman Southwell Community Project as I knew the archaeologist there and it supported his theory that a roman road ran north-east from Southwell, past Norwell.

Finding this would encourage you for months and months even though it has no intrinsic value. It really is the "thrill of the hunt" that's so interesting even if you're only finding old buttons, musket balls etc.

Perhaps other folk have interesting old bits and pieces they's like to post?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We used to find bowls and stems of clay pipes around our field gate. You could just imagine the old boys leaning against the gate for a chat. I used my metal detector last week to find a watch strap pin which I dropped on the carpet when making an adjustment. It's funny that when you drop something on the carpet or in the workshop the object always lands miles away from where you though it had gone!

The 'thrill of the hunt' is spot on AG. Yours is a fabulous find and I would be thrilled to bits to discover something like that. As we cycle around the streets occasionally a coin would be spotted, but we would just cycle past, unless it was worth stopping for. A couple of years ago we decided to start picking it up. It is unbelievable how often we stop to pick up a coin. This image does not show our hoard as impressive as it looks in reality. There is all value of coins, new and old. Only one coin pre decimal. It doesn't amount to a lot but eventually the ones that can be salvaged will go into a charity box,but at the moment we can't part with it. PS. Yes we wash our hand, always have a bottle of sanitiser with us.

DSCN0898.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Good on you Carni. I always pick up any cash I see in the streets. I make a few quid a year, and I use it to fill up the or go out for a meal !

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Good on you Carni. I always pick up any cash I see in the streets. I make a few quid a year, and I use it to fill up the or go out for a meal !

You must walk around with your nose to the ground FLY.  I found a fiver once in a pub car park but other than that the most I’ve found is a £1 coin.  I get my thrills from Premium Bond ‘wins’ 

My husband lost his wedding ring in the garden years ago and a neighbour found it with a metal detector.  

• Upvote 1

I once found a mega Franc note, pre Euro, on my way out of a Paris nightclub. My co director and I went to sample the delights of a Pigalle club whilst attending an exhibition. When I returned from the toilet he was surrounded by a pair of attractive girls who insisted that we bought them champagne. When the enormous bill came I said "quick Patrick we're getting out of here". Our exit was prevented by a pair of heavies who stopped us on the stairs. Not wishing to get into a fist fight I said "OK we'll pay". That saved us from getting punched but our evening was much improved when I found, on the floor, an enormous denomination Franc note. It more than paid for the ripoff champagne and allowed us to continue our evening in the bar next-door! When I think back I've had some amazingly exciting moments and now I lead such an incredibly dull life!

• Like 1

Ha ha, not really Lizzie, but I know the suitable places to look, and I don't miss much ! 

Oh, 5p in a Toton car park this morning !

42 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

You must walk around with your nose to the ground FLY.

I've picked up a reasonable amount of money over the years, and I reckon it's because I don't have much competition. Most other people are walking around with their eyes glued to their phones checking emails, so they wouldn't even notice a bag full of £20 notes if it was right in front of them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lizzie and Carni, pay attention, because I don't divulge my tactics and secrets to everyone.

Keep your eyes peeled at car park ticket machines, and ALWAYS feel inside the rejected coin tray just in case anything has dropped through. Check around the floor at ATM's. Outside paper shops is another good source of success. Be on the alert at bus stops and around phone boxes. Whilst queuing at checkouts and tills in shops, always check around you.

I had a tenner in Arnold recently as the woman in front of me walked right over it. I also pushed a schoolboy out of the way in WH Smiths in Vic Centre recently when I espeyed him staring at a fiver on the floor.

Happy searching !smile2

• Upvote 1

FLY, I suggest you go along to the supermarket (suggest you try Sainsburys) where there are those coin changing machines.  I was at a checkout by a machine recently and a kid was on his knees with a big stick, scraping the floor underneath the machine, gathering no end of coins that people had dropped when piling them in.  He gathered his week’s pocket money in a couple of minutes, little monkey.  Would you have the nerve to do that :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Yes I have Lizzie, at the Top Valley Tesco's,. Although I only bent down for stuff I could see.  A good point, as I'd forgotten about that one. 

Another tip is DIY car wash machines. People invariably drop coins as they are hoovering their motors.

I do draw the line at Wishing Wells though. I'd NEVER take anything out of those. It's akin to stealing a persons dreams. God knows, I've put enough in them myself, and a couple have borne fruit.

I did see an unscrupulous family the other year in Latvia. Whilst walking through a park, there was a stream, and a little waterfall where folks had dropped coins in. The dad was encouraging his small son to dangle a magnet tied to a stick, and pluck copper / steel coins ((the equivalent of our coppers) out of the stream.

Mrs FLY had to restrain me I can tell you !

In my defence, I'm not as mercenary as it appears, because when two of my grandkids were small, I used to split any finds between them at the end of the year. Also, I've made reasonable donations to the British Legion Poppy boxes, RNLI, Help For Heroes, and animal and children's charities. 

• Like 1