Hi everyone. I've just discovered this amazing forum as a result of googling to jog my memory of where Nottingham's  tenpin bowling alley was in the 1960s.... Barker Gate of course!

My family moved to Nottingham when I was 4 in 1948. After living in rented rooms in Mapperley for a few years we moved into a brand new council house in Bilborough in 1951where I stayed until I married in 1967. After that I lived with my family in Bakersfields until we moved to rural Lincolnshire in 1988 where I still live. My late husband was born and grew up in Mapperley. In Bilborough I went to Glenbrook Junior and Glaisdale Bi-lateral schools. After school I worked in the Department of Employment at Valley Road Basford and Castle Boulevard.

I've already seen lots of interesting and familiar things on the forum and I am looking forward to making some new friends....and maybe meeting some old ones?

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Bilborough Girl.  I was born and brought up in Woodthorpe and Mum usually did her shopping in  Mapperley.  We may have seen each other as children there as you are only a year younger than me, but of course we'll never know!  I hope you'll continue to post on here - love to hear more of your memories...

Welcome Bilborough Girl, and welcome to this fantastic site. Looking forward to reading  your memories 

What a welcome! Thank you everyone. I am still in the process of finding my way round the site...trouble is, I keep getting side tracked by interesting threads/posts, then forget where I've seen them and get lost trying to find them again! I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I visited Nottingham last week for the first time in about 10 years and it has made me very nostalgic. The reason for the visit was that I have a friend who said she has never been to Nottingham and would like to see it so we came on the train from Lincoln and I gave her a guided tour of the city centre. You'll all be glad to hear she was very impressed with what a beautiful place it is. I'd tolld her that before we went! It was very strange for me as the city has changed so much since we left in 1988 and yet, it was all so very familiar. I was so pleased that I could still find my way around but, I guess, that will always be the case with the place you grew up in.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bilborough Girl - I often can't remember where I've read something, either!  Have you tried the search facility- I think it can sometimes be useful.    If the post is fairly recent and you can remember who wrote it, you can go to their profile and see if you can find it there