Nottm - Derby Friargate line

This video is only 4 minutes long, and sometimes it’s a bit of an anorak special for railway fans, but it shows places on a line which no longer exists.

Derby Friargate station; and stations at West Hallam, Ilkeston,  Awsworth,  Basford & Bulwell (the one which crossed Vernon Road),  and going across the Bennerley Viaduct.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Probably not mentioned this before but I am now a Hermes courier covering Awsworth and Cossall. One of my first  drops this morning is Station House,  Awsworth.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Very interesting. But where is “Earwash and Bass-ford”?:(

Exactly. Obviously not a local. He's a bit like one of the voice-over people from Public Information films in the 1930s.

• Like 1

Station House, Awsworth today. Assume it was originally the Station Masters house. Probably all that is left of Awsworth Station. The left hand side has been built on later.  There is no trace of a railway ever having been through Awsworth now. (so far as I am aware). 

xd5dtl.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 1:02 PM, philmayfield said:

Well I live near to Southwell, Averham, Rolleston and not that far from Norwell and Brant Broughton. There’s some pronunciations for non locals to interpret!

The local pronounciation of Folkingham (Lincs) has been known to raise an eyebrow amongst unwary outsiders!

One of my flying friends, some years ago, just to add spice to his logbook, flew consecutively into Folkingham  (Lincs),  Sleap (Shropshire) and Little Snoring (Norfolk). I’ve only flown into Sleap and Little Snoring. To old for Folkingham now - and it’s disused!  Incidentally I believe Raymond Mayes used to build and test BRM racing cars on the Folkingham airfield many years ago.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Quite correct Phil, father in law knew him very well. Pat carvas used to drive for Raymond. Just out of interest Phil, did you know Thomas Clingo, who used to work for Raymond? 

No, the only chap I know who did a bit of driving for RM is Ted Gray, who comes from a farming family in nearby Morton nr. Bourne, who used to chauffeur him occasionally. He now lives in Southwell. I did have an uncle who had a Raymond Mayes conversion on his Zephy 6 back in the 50’s. Modified cylinder head and camshaft and triple carbs. Went it worked, which wasn’t often, it went like bullett!