After searching for a while and viewing some properties I couldn’t wait to get out if I finally found “my” new home. After the stress of having a solicitor who did not know how to multitask (even though it was a female) I finally moved in. Felt at home straight away, near shops, somewhere to walk my 2 boys (very important) and near my sister. It seemed perfect, just a few things that I wanted to do or so I thought. Got someone in to do the few small jobs I wanted doing. Started off with small things like locks that were a bit “iffy” on patio doors, this was just the beginning, the patio door was off its bottom runner, lock had to be changed and was told the patio door was at r the end of its life. After this every small job threw up something else, strange plumbing work under the sink, french doors not fitted properly with a gap underneath that could let in rain, sink & draining board not sealed to worktop and the worktop is delaminating (is that a word?). The tap to the sink wobbled about (we had noticed this on viewing but thought it should be an easy fix). This has been tightened but is a bit too far away from the sink so worktop is always getting wet hence the delamination. Yesterday had a few more small jobs done with great trepidation as it was electrics. Success with some of them, but there are now 2 further things that need putting right and a switch that we couldn’t work what it was for. There is a wasps nest in the loft (council going to sort this out thank goodness).  I noticed a bit of loose paper in bedroom and peeked underneath (wish I hadn’t) found black mood on wall under window. Stripped off wallpaper and cleaned it off . Went to see neighbour and apparently it can be a problem in these houses, now have damp traps all over and windows upstairs on vent. Halfway through all this I seriously thought about putting it back on the market, in fact had a bit of a meltdown, but I do love this house despite all its faults so hopefully the end is in sight. At least until next year when I start to think about redecorating!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bit off topic but still about houses, my kids have suggested that i think about renting out the family home. Anyone who has done this any special things i should look out for, do i do it myself or use agency being the two that come to mind. I always value your input and advice. Gem.

SG Sorry to hear you are having problems with damp. Join and welcome to the "club" We too have problems with damp as we live in the Valpadana area of Piemonte. We've been in this house since 2000 but before we had lived in the same village in other house but didnt seem to have damp patches. Mind you the house doesn't have a damp course and was built circa 1800/1850 and was built on clay. But after all these years its still on its feet, keeps warm in the winter and cool in the summer ( walls are very very thick) The house was rewired and new plumbing. We have done a lot to the house but we are still doing things. Its 3 storey and my son has the 2 top floors so when we offered it to him we separated everything to make it independente of us.We have the ground floor which has the most damp patches but with damp absorbers and dehumidifier its not too bad apart when we have to decorate. Which isnt every year thank goodness. We all live comfortably my son has 3 children and they all have a bedroon plus lounge 2 bathroomsand large dining kitchen. Whilst we are smaller in size we have what we need. My husband wants to move as hes worried about being too far from everything and unable to drive, but I love this house yes its big and creaky sometimes but its in the country with some beautiful views and its quiet ( when next doors dog doesn't start barking setting ours off)  So SG its where you feel comfortable and at home. You feel its right when it feels right.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

The words lawyer and multitasking should never be in the same sentence. They are too engrossed in their profit and how to increase it than they can ever be in providing a good service.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There are pro's and con's for both agent managed and DIY. Agents tend to be a bit expensive (typically 10% of monthly rental) and in my experience do very little to earn it.

Highly recommend you join a landlord association, there are quite few, where you will find all the information you need, legal obligations, forms and documents etc. and access to legal advice should you need it.

Strongly advise using an estate agent to find a suitable tenant. They will, for a fee, do all the credit, right to rent and reference checks necessary, you stipulate the terms.

You cannot discriminate on religious, ethnic or disability etc. but you can bar, pets, DHSS, and anything/anyone you think will not take care of the property.

Your kids are giving you good advice, even more so if the house is mortgage free.

I have a number of rental properties so if you have any  specific questions PM me

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the water stoptap doesn’t, but will have to dismantle some of kitchen to get to it as pipe work needs changing as well. Water in street will have to be turned off (if that works not holding my breath) but will leave that for the time being. Plugs to basin in bathroom and kitchen sink let water drain when closed so have to do things quickly (am getting really good at this). This morning the gas boiler decided I didn’t need hot water to rinse shampoo out of my hair, so had a cold rinse, at least it wasn’t whilst I was in the shower! Rang plumber who serviced it 2 weeks ago but he didn’t have a clue what the flashing code was, neither did instruction book, luckily seems to have reset itself. Every day is becoming an adventure not knowing what will be thrown at me next. I am proud of myself as I haven’t been by myself for long, hubby would have usually sorted things out, but have managed to cope so far. Can’t praise Graham too much who is helping me sort things out, if anyone wants work done I will be pleased to recommend him. He is a brilliant.

This house, despite the problems (think the last owner thought he was a whizz at DIY), has a lovely feel, very welcoming, and just feels like home so I will soldier onwards and upwards. It will be right.

• Like 5

Staverto

43 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I noticed a bit of loose paper in bedroom and peeked underneath (wish I hadn’t) found black mood on wall under window

If it's rising damp you have a problem and need professionals to sort it. If the damp is making black mould on the walls it's more than likely due to condensation and is easier to cure with good ventilation. One property I had, built with concrete walls, was notorious for mould but an air exchanger in the loft fixed it in no time, much better, and cheaper, than dehumidifiers.

The house is concrete. It is under the bedroom window and in part of the fitted wardrobe, apparently condensation nothing more sinister. Will look into heat exchangers not heard of them before. Will have to wait until wasps nest is sorted out. Thanks for the information.

26 minutes ago, jonab said:

The words lawyer and multitasking should never be in the same sentence. They are too engrossed in their profit and how to increase it than they can ever be in providing a good service.

Was never the case with the old school of solicitors of whom I knew many but, today, as you say, out for every bean they can get and to helll with providing a good service.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brew, thank you will follow your advice, my house was built in the 1860s so will not appeal to everyone. Your offer of help is appreciated and i will contact you if i think i am getting out of my depth. Gem

my Solicitor was away for a week so handed my file to her colleague. She did more in a week than mine had done in a month. It didn’t help that my buyers solicitors were as bad, could never get a reply from them about anything. On completion day everyone was ready waiting for them but they didn’t reply to emails or phone calls. In the end my sister threatened to come up from Nottingham and sit in their offices until they sorted it. They then did ring my solicitor and a said if my sister phoned again they would inform the police. Did get them moving though.

• Upvote 1

Just had txt from Graham (my handyman) he is doing a big bathroom refit but will arrange to come to do my electrics on his first free Saturday. Can’t wait. Can see another blog looming!

• Like 1

Do you have to have a home inspection over there,? I forget. Here you ask the seller to have one, contingent to signing a contract to purchase their home. The inspector checks the heating system, central air system, internal plumbing and electrical system, the roof,  attic and visible insulation. Walls, ceilings and floors, windows and doors. The foundations, basement,  and structural. The seller pays for this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The home inspections are better than nothing Katy.  Unfortunately in my experience many of the 'inspectors' are not licensed in any particular trade.  They may have had a general course in the main things that can be a problem, but can't be expected to catch much.

When I built my sunroom extension I went the legal route and obtained a permit.  The 'inspector' checked everything from electrical to carpentry, but didn't seem to have much knowledge of any particular trade.

4 hours ago, Gem said:

my house was built in the 1860s so will not appeal to everyone

Don't you believe it! ask an estate agent and I'm sure if the area is reasonable they will tell it's not a problem. I have one built 1901and had no trouble finding tenants. Don't make assumptions, check before making a decision. If you think someone will buy then someone will rent it.

4 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Will look into heat exchangers not heard of them before.

Research PIV units. Installed one in the loft and REAL anti fungus paint... no more problem.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Brew said:

Don't you believe it! ask an estate agent and I'm sure if the area is reasonable they will tell it's not a problem. I have one built 1901and had no trouble finding tenants. Don't make assumptions, check before making a decision. If you think someone will buy then someone will rent it.

The houses where i live are very much sought after as they face Saltwell Park, we often get letters from local estate agents asking if we are considering selling. We will sell eventually but not until Mum and Auntie are no longer with us, its been our family home since 1909.

• Like 1

I did have an independent survey done before buying the house, everything came back as okay. Was a long hot summer though. The damp proof course is okay and haven’t found anything anywhere else as yet. Had someone have a look at it and they said it is condensation, got the window on vent which isn’t a problem as I don’t like stuffy rooms especially when the heating is on. Will have to see if this and the damp traps solve the problem. If not will try other solutions suggested. 

Been into Nottingham city centre this morning with my sister. Went into the Vic centre, went and looked at water clock it always fascinated me. Went down Clumber Street, this was all shoe shops when I was here last it has changed so much. Got really disoriented, didn’t have a clue where I was, wouldn’t dare go in on my own think I would get lost. Going to go down to Market Square next time we go in and explore that side of town if I am up to it. Not sure if it has changed for the better but it seems better than Doncaster town centre which isn’t very good unless you want fast food or Primark. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We moved there while I was at Bilborough Grammar, lived on Huxley Close before then. Left from Huxley to go to school and went to Staverton when we finished school. That is so interesting, our house wasn’t built in that picture. I presume the land to the left will eventually be Harvey Hadden?

Huxley Close - near me, then.  We lived on Melbury Road from around 1965, when I was 8, until I Ieft home to go to University in mid 70's, although my Mum was there until she died in 1999.  Did you know the Brown family who lived in Huxley Close?

Think it was about 1965/66 when we left, used to live at no. 12, had an enormous garden front and rear. It rings a bell but can’t place them, do you know any Christian names of kids. Can remember the Chambers who live across from us and the Pugsleys who had a Great Dane called Pongo. There were twin girls who lived a bit further up, Lillian and Doreen I think they were called. Didn’t know any of the families who lived at top of Close round the green, they weren’t in our gang. Also Fat Micheal who liver down the bottom, bit politically incorrect that now and the Tomlinsons that lived near him, seem to remember their lad was called Leslie.

Small world.  I lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive pretty much from birth (1949) until we moved to Bestwood about 1952..ish.  A few years ago I discovered that a cousin's family had been living in Orion Close at the same time.  I'm the only one left alive who remembers us living there and I'm a bit uncertain now.  76 Glaisdale West is a typical 'Council' house,whereas I recall a two story 'prefab' with sort of cladding type walls.  I recall a corner and going round to the street behind, which would be Bramerton.  But then again maybe we were at Glaisdale East.   Had a look a few years ago and  76 East was the first of a row of new bungalows.  Also, not close to a corner like I remember.  Who knows?