The biggest snowball.

Just seen the post 'snow on Mapperley Plains' which put me in mind of this from my youth. I lived in Radford on Grimston Road. I can't recall the exact year but late 1960's just after Christmas we had a heavy fall of snow. Naturally all the local kids were out. In search of good virgin snow we found ourselves on Woodstock Avenue and a large free for all snowball fight started. I clearly remember someone throwing a snowball towards me that fell short but rolled along gathered more snow as it rolled and growing in size so was pretty large when it stopped at my feet. I started rolling it and quite soon it was as big as a football. More joined in and we carried on rolling it up Woodstock, down Churchfield Lane, down Grimston Road and right on Radford Boulevard and onto Wordsworth Road. By this time it was getting 3 or more feet across and weighing a considerable amount. It was taking a concerted effort to move it by now but eventually got it back to Woodstock Avenue which ran downhill slightly. Eventually we could move it no more and abandoned it outside Steve Scott's house who was a mate. It was huge by this time, probably 4 feet or more. It remained there for a few weeks gradually getting smaller, long after the snow everywhere else was gone.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1