Their advantage is one stop shopping and free parking right outside the door. The anti car councillors and the exorbitant parking costs drive people away from the City centre. I’m quite happy to drive  to Downtown at Grantham where I can purchase just about all my requirements under two roofs and enjoy lunch with minimum walking from the car park plus there is a large plant centre. Everything  else we can buy from the out of town sheds, again with free parking on the doorstep. There’s nothing to entice me into Nottingham these days, not even John Lewis. The clothes at Downtown (Boundary Mills) are the same quality and much cheaper.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never knowingly stolen anything, never knowingly cheated anyone. never claimed benefits.... Never go out without a polished halo!    

@radfordred You're a kind son RR.  Make the most of having your mum still alive... I wish I could do stuff for my mum, but she's no longer here 

I shall be wishing the same thing on Sunday, Margie.  I still find it hard to see the cards for mothering Sunday and not buy one but there will be a large vase of flowers next to her photo.

Three GC's that I regularly use on a day out near Doncaster, are Walkers Nurseries and GC at Blaxton just off the A614. A good selection of everything, and a good cafe.

Branton Farm Nurseries towards Doncaster. A great selection, and reasonable prices, but a minimal cafe. 

Then Tickhill GC. Massive shop, and reasonable plants. A good cafe.

All in all, a good day out. 

• Upvote 1

Fly, I think you must be Nottstalgia's biggest Garden Centre fan!  You seem to have visited several dozen of them on your days out.  

(And I think RadfordRed ought to visit one of them just once - if only for a cup of coffee.) 

I think, - like Phil and TBI - that Garden Centres and other out of town retail outlets are becoming increasingly popular these days.  Sad for the High Street shops and department stores, though....

Thank you for all your comments - it's been really helpful finding out what people aged  60ish - 70+ like /dislike about Garden Centres.  Now I need to ask some people with young families to find out their views!  

I could ask them at the Toddler Group tomorrow... (if I wasn't so run off my feet!  There are often 20 families there and only Paul and me to set it up, serve snacks for the kiddies, cake for the adults and clear up afterwards.  Fly, you may be pleased to know the children will be  making poppies out of paper plates for the craft tomorrow)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well done Margie. As long as the kids realise the significance of the occasion.

In answer to your statement, yes, I love my garden and the work I put in is rewarding and mental therapy. It's very soothing in this mad wilderness we call society.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I mentioned this fantastic tread with Mrs Red last night over dinner, she's also never been to a garden center either! I think it's because we only had a front step & brick back yard so no need for garden centers, my Dad or Granddad would have had no time for gardening anyway, they would have been knackered after working all week & would have preferred going out for a pint? Work hard, play hard. 

• Like 2

My Dad and Grandad both lived in council houses with large Gardens,,,both dabbled with their gardens,,but much preferred going for a pint,,......Dad was highly delighted when i turned the very large back garden into a Football pitch  for me and me mates,,  Mam however loved her little corner which she tended with loving care,,

• Like 2

Just back from a trip out to Cherry Lane GC at Bradmore. I've been many times, and I'm never disappointed. 

Bird food very reasonable, Christmas wrapping paper and associated accessories are very cheap, and choccy items, fantastic value.

Oh, and nice cake too.

Didnt look at plants, but there's rarely a decent selection.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, MargieH said:

And I think RadfordRed ought to visit one of them just once

Well I've not been yet or have any plans to!

Worked with youth yesterday who would not believe I had never seen a Star Wars film & when I added not seen or read any Harry Potter stuff, or never eaten a McDonald's (by choice) think he thought there was something wrong with me  :crazy:

Got me thinking whats the most ordinary thing you have never done & possibly quite proud of?

• Like 1

Never knowingly stolen anything, never knowingly cheated anyone. never claimed benefits....

Never go out without a polished halo!     :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Gardening does not & never will appeal to me, can't abide it ! Anyone who enjoys gardening is fine by me. Mrs C loves gardening & she out in the garden mowing the lawn as I type. Each to their own. Can't get her interested in DIY tho !

• Like 1

Plenty of encouragement, but you must allow her time off to cook dinner and make cups of tea,you got a gudun there mate

Rog

• Like 1

I no longer have a garden so make do with window boxes and pots. My mum has bought me some gardening gloves with plastic tips so I can dig in the pots without using a trowel.  I would so love eBay to go away she buys some rubbish.

• Like 2

Those gloves with plastic finger tips sound scary -  like they are something from a horror film!

• Like 2

Being off today, so dropped in on my 86 year old Mum, first thing she said to me "have you been doing the garden" what on me day off your having a laugh! Worrisit with old people & gardening?

Before I left she asked me If I could wipe some pigeon shit off the fence!  Unbelievable :crazy:

• Like 1

@radfordred You're a kind son RR.  Make the most of having your mum still alive... I wish I could do stuff for my mum, but she's no longer here 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Those gloves with plastic finger tips sound scary -  like they are something from a horror film!

They are actually a very useful gardening tool Margie, easy when you are repotting small plants.  I won't tell mum how good they are or she will be buying any odd little gardening implement she can find. 

• Like 2