• 11 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took me a while and exercised my brain more than usual , but finally there's only one.    

We don’t have village bonfires any more. Our parish council would go spare if there was a burnt patch on their precious Glebe Field. Years ago, when our kids and their friends were much younger, I and

Just had my bonfire. Lit at 1.30 and still blazing. I normally have them regularly but this represented a years worth of fallen branches, tree prunings, fence panels and general rubbish so it was quite a size. I thought it might be a bit damp but half a gallon of old tractor sump oil and a gas torch was all that was needed. Far enough away from habitations so as not to cause a nuisance and the smoke went straight up to add to the CO2 and particulates already up there. How else could I get rid? Lots of 20 mile round car journeys to the tip? Petrol used in the shredder? 

• Upvote 1

I guess I miss bonfire night as we used to celebrate it.  With my birthday being on the third a lot of relatives used to buy me a box of fireworks.  I was ok with that for a number of years until I began to realize that this was a cheap birthday present. :biggrin:

Somehow or other we all seemed to manage without serous burns or parts of our anatomy being blown off.

• Like 1

Only ever had sparklers when I was a child. I've always hated anything loud...including a few folks I've met in my time...so never had anything explosive.  I really preferred the bonfire and jacket potatoes with butter! Yum. Still like bonfires and have been piling up garden refuse ready for a fire later in the year. Probably near to the winter solstice which is a psychological barrier I'm always glad to cross. There's something very liberating about a bonfire but I always sift through for wildlife first. Cats aren't allowed outdoors for the bonfire but I usually raise a glass of red to bid farewell to the dying year and to welcome the snowdrops! :rolleyes:

Still like jacket potatoes too...with cheese!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Still like bonfires and have been piling up garden refuse ready for a fire later'

Jill.......can i pop round and light your fire........:rolleyes:

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Only ever had sparklers when I was a child. I've always hated anything loud...including a few folks I've met in my time...so never had anything explosive.  I really preferred the bonfire and jacket potatoes with butter! Yum. Still like bonfires and have been piling up garden refuse ready for a fire later in the year. Probably near to the winter solstice which is a psychological barrier I'm always glad to cross. There's something very liberating about a bonfire but I always sift through for wildlife first. Cats aren't allowed outdoors for the bonfire but I usually raise a glass of red to bid farewell to the dying year and to welcome the snowdrops! :rolleyes:

Still like jacket potatoes too...with cheese!

So we must presume you dance around the fire in witches garb or even naked! :(

Our village Firework/bonfire was on Friday and the next village's event  - less than  half a mile away - was last night.  I suppose they arranged it like that to maximise their profits (£5 adults and £2.50 child, although 2 kids could get in free if they brought a guy to put on the bonfire.)  I helped our 2 littlies to make a guy last week , so they got in free.  I didn't go as I'm  not paying to watch fireworks when I can see them perfectly well out of my window!  

I expect there will be some more fireworks tonight as it's the 5th.  

If our cats are inside when they hear a bang, they rush outside because they think it's in the house and vice versa.  On Friday, one was trying to get out of the house and the other one was trying to get inside through the same cat flap at the same time!

• Like 1

We don’t have village bonfires any more. Our parish council would go spare if there was a burnt patch on their precious Glebe Field. Years ago, when our kids and their friends were much younger, I and a bunch of fathers used to organise spectacular village bonfire events. None of the current batch of parents seem to have much go in them. They’re probably totally indoctrinated in today’s health and safety culture. Way back in 1962 we had the bonfire on our field and my father, who was very rigourous in car oil changes, had a large quantity of used sump oil which he poured over the fire on the afternoon before lighting. The blaze was spectacular! :biggrin:

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

So we must presume you dance around the fire in witches garb or even naked! :(

Not at all...I'd spill melted cheese down me front!  However, if I chose to do so, no one would know because of the trees!  :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Braddy said:

Can't beat a bonfire on the road and melt the tarmac, them were the days. 

They did that at the side of St Stephens Sneinton.Where else would light a bonfire but in the middle of the road? Fire Brigade took a dim view of it but it was just as exciting to us young 'uns watching them put it out.

4 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ll cancel the ‘bus trip then! :biggrin:

And I was going to sell tickets!

• Like 1

Our wedding anniversary today,,33 years ago tonight we were in the Masons Arms old Basford,,,Harry on Piano,,everyone singing,,..............next morning we caught the train to Peterborough with our solicitor.......happy days,, lol

• Like 1

Wanted to make sure he got  my story right............oh forgot  to mention Katy and Loppy i was in court......lol

• Like 1