• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took me a while and exercised my brain more than usual , but finally there's only one.    

We don’t have village bonfires any more. Our parish council would go spare if there was a burnt patch on their precious Glebe Field. Years ago, when our kids and their friends were much younger, I and

Thanks for that picture  cliff ton,,  the Masons Arms was special to me and  Donna,,...................

Young and Pearce were my solicitors,,great chaps served me well,,through many years,,the chap who travelled to Peterborough with us was either mr.wilkes or Dilks,,lovely chap but a bit nieve ( sp) bless him,,

When I was little I remember we got a box with some catherine wheels, a couple of rockets and roman candles and a packet of sparklers, we thought that was great. Nowt like this though.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Wanted to make sure he got  my story right............oh forgot  to mention Katy and Loppy i was in court......lol

This gets more complicated by the minute.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Time to ignite (sorry) this thread again as November 5th looms.

I guess the big bonfire event on The Forest is cancelled this year due to COVID. 
I took the family a couple of years back and was thoroughly unimpressed. The traffic was horrendous and it took me ages to find a parking space. I also thought the funfair was tacky so although I've always loved Bonfire Night. I drove back home to Daventry feeling quite fed up.

Back in the early 60s when I lived on Russell Rd the scouts used to have a decent bonfire on the Forest. IIRC it was down in the corner where Noel St. meets Gregory Boulevard.

Not sure if I've related this story before but around 1962 or 1963 my friend whose mum worked at Bairnswear got her to bring him a long cardboard tube which he used as a rocket launcher. Not vertically but horizontally. He stood in the middle of Russell Rd where it crosses Laurie Avenue and fired a rocket down towards the Forest. Talk about stupid. Fortunately it didn’t hit anyone and he quickly decided not to fire off any more. I think it was that year we made torches from broomsticks with rags soaked in paraffin wrapped around the end. We paraded down Russell Rd on to the Forest with these medieval torches aflame.

Fireworks used to start appearing in our local newsagents Codds on Laurie Avenue from mid October and although there was supposed to be an age restriction on buying them we never had any problems. Penny bangers and jumping jacks were favourite but I recall Standard fireworks produced bangers called Cannons in a few different sizes. My favourite trick was to light a banger let the fuse burn a few seconds then throw it up in the air so it exploded in mid air. All good fun unless you happened to get one with a short fuse!

Well I've lived to tell the tale but I know there are a few unlucky youngsters who have been badly burned messing with fireworks so the modern controls on fireworks has to be a good thing.

Finally then I must comment on the wonderful smells that fill the air on bonfire night. The smoke from the bonfire the sulphurous fireworks and the baked spuds, mushy peas and chestnuts. Halloween doesn't come close.

23 minutes ago, Mess said:

Not sure if I've related this story before but around 1962 or 1963 my friend whose mum worked at Bairnswear got her to bring him a long cardboard tube which he used as a rocket launcher. Not vertically but horizontally. He stood in the middle of Russell Rd where it crosses Laurie Avenue and fired a rocket down towards the Forest. Talk about stupid. Fortunately it didn’t hit anyone and he quickly decided not to fire off any more.

Yes, talk about stupid!  Anyone with any sense would have fired it at The Manning!! He could have saved me years of misery!