No Post Office for miles.....

Despite the incumbment Postmaster giving the authorities many months notice of his approaching retirement in May 2006, the busy Bingham Post Office closed a month ago.

Binghamites now faced with trips to Radcliffe, Aslockton or Cotgrave in order to use a Post Office facility - although the PO management has had so much time to organise a local replacement building and staff!

Can there be a larger gathering of population [7,500] in the country that is without a dedicated Post Office?

Cheers

V Meldrew

The post Office want to do away with all those little post office branches.

We had quite a large, and busy one at Long Eaton next to the sorting office.

Its closed down and moved to the corner of the coop.

Fortunately we have a nice little post office run by Malcolm in downtown Sawley!

But the Bingham PO was not a small village branch.....

It served an expanding population in an area which has tripled in size over the last 25 years, and is likely to continue growing beyond 10,000 souls.

Your Long Eaton example involved a move of premises within the town.

No such replacement is currently envisaged for Bingham....

I am directly effected, as I'm obliged to post several packages daily which require a proof of posting certification - only available over a PO counter.

Cheers

Robt P.

Getting back to the topic. Post Offices, I had a local one just down the road from me until they closed it now i have to use one which is the same distance away as the one they closed...the next nearest would be the main one in Beeston about a twenty minute walk or a five minute car journey..

We must be fortunate then as we have 2 post offices here in Keyworth.The main one on Main St and a p/o counter in Budgens.

At the mo we are putting down new flooring in the kitchen.Have you ever noticed when you start a job that loads of other niggley things need sorting? thumbsdown

What about the amount of tools needed? We have put coving in the kitchen which led to sorting out the plaster on the walls and then the skirting boards and so on and so on, the list that had one job on now has 41 other things to do. The tool that you always want is at the bottom of the shed and when you get the shed out to retrieve it the heavens open and everything gets wet!!!!!

English summers, the only difference is the rain becomes warmer...

A lips0

Rob,the name rings a bell but where abouts was it. What years were you there?

Ann,I know who you mean but they sold up years ago.Not sure where they are now. BTW Disney is an old name in the village,goes back a few hundred years. !hand!

Jeff worked with my other half when he met Diane. My husband was a steepljack at the time. He wrote a poem for Jeff 'cause he didn't know how to ask her out. It worked because they married and had a couple of boys as far as I remember.

Trev could never understand why he always had stale sandwiches being a baker.

Ann lips0

NB I might add I never had a poem from him, I must have been easily led...

Jeff had a sister Vivienne who lived next but one to me,she got up 1 morning and dropped dead.The family has a heart problem and about 3 years later her son did the same.Her daughter still lives on our road and she seems ok,thank goodness.Her name is Joanne. I know Jeff +Dianne had a daughter Stella.

Mine tried to write a poem about me something about being able to smell me a mile off.....dont ask!

• 9 years later...