Christmas Tips

Our postman got his Christmas tip from us today, 6 weeks early.  It wasn’t our intention but when I heard the mail come through the letter box I looked out of the window and saw him looking around then bending down, picking something up and putting in his pocket.  My husband had only just got in from a long walk with the dog, they’d been out in the car.  I asked him if he’d dropped anything as he’d got out of the car and he said yes, a folded up £10 note and had forgotten to pick it up when he’d got the dog out.  I’m disappointed as we get on well with our postman, he’s a nice bloke.  I won’t mention that I saw what he did until just before Christmas and then I intend telling him that he’s already had his tip.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

£5 for my postman, and two packs of beer for the lads at the garage where we have our cars repaired. That's it !

When I worked in a shop where I lived before we had paper boys/girls (suppose that should be persons). Whenever anything went wrong with the deliveries, papers being delivered to wrong houses or someone not turning up we always got the flack but the paper boys/girls got the tips at Christmas. Always thought there was something wrong there. 

With the range of different delivery services and different people delivering the mail I have not known tipping for many years. My mum told me the story about my grandmother in the 1930's. She always gave the bin men a Christmas box as it was called in that part of Yorkshire. One year the bin man knocked on her door and said " compliments of the season, I'm the man who empties your bin". She replied " and the same to you, I'm the lady who fills it". He would have got a tip if he had not asked!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I seem to recall that a few years ago the powers that be of the British Post Office announced that a postman's Christmas tip should not be over £20. What????? Half a crown was too much in my day.

Am I that out of touch with UK inflation and cost of living?