Watchout ....other Dancers may be on the floor.........

''I can hear the sound of Violins...long before it begins''''

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Posted Images

Plane crash 1959.......Buddy Holly...Big Bopper...Ritchie Valence

all killed........''Twas the day the music died''........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

At the time of the release of American Pie I had an American boyfriend, a Captain in the US Army.  Music so often brings memories flooding back to us all.  
Years later I discovered that a Jamaican business colleague of my husband knew Don McLean really well when they were both living in London in the 60s.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Plane crash 1959.......Buddy Holly...Big Bopper...Ritchie Valence

all killed........''Twas the day the music died''........

Indeed Ben.  3rd of February.  My 10th Birthday.  I always think of Buddy and the others on my birthday.  Your posting of American Pie has got me thinking of old songs..some good, some terrible..which  have been used to commemorate rock/pop stars and other significant characters who have left us.

Sadly, Eddie Cochran also died far too young, just over a year later in April 1960.  Just outside Bristol, UK, a car crash also involving Gene Vincent and Cochran's songwriter girlfriend Sharon Sheely, killed Cochran, injured his GF and seriously injured Vincent.

Joe Meek produced this tribute to Cochran, by Heinz Burt.

Mike Berry jumped in...

• Like 1

Later.. Dion recorded Abraham Martin and John.. which was a huge hit in the US, but didn't chart here. ..it mourned the passing of Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, and John F Kennedy.  This is a beautiful song...and Marvin Gaye's version charted here in May 1970.

Finally, the hugely underrated William Bell did this tribute to Otis Redding.

• Like 2

Love Cowboy songs.........could listen to Glenn all day....

''Riding out on an horse..in a star spangled Rodeo''

So true to life in 60s........Come outside duck....theres a loverly moon out there...........we've bin 'Jiving' all night long''

Oz, I love this song and some of the sentiments expressed in it.  The words are taken from the Bible .... Ecclesiastes 3 verses 1 - 8 which is sometimes quoted at funerals

12 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The words are taken from the Bible .... Ecclesiastes 3 verses 1 - 8 which is sometimes quoted at funerals

Pete Seeger wrote the song and as you say the words they can be found in the King James version of the bible 1611.

Being an atheist and never studying the bible I never knew that but I can relate to the sentiments expressed.

As I often say you never stop learning.

Oz, the words are in the modern translations of the Bible as well!  

As an Atheist, you may like the words in the first chapter of Ecclesiastes verses 1 - 11....

Sorry MargieH, I did not understand or relate to any of that and it is probably better if we close this specific discussion.

You have your views and I respect your right to hold them.

I have mine, they just happen to be different to yours.

As that great Irish comedian Dave Allen said "May your God go with You"

• Upvote 1

My father was an out and out atheist. No time whatsoever for religion, yet he could quote the Bible fluently. This, also from Ecclesiastes (9:11) was one of his favourites:

...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

After his death, I found this quote on a piece of paper, folded up in his wallet. I still have it. After all, it is simply a truism and we would all do well to remember it!

He was also a great fan of Dave Allen!

• Like 2

There is a lot of wisdom in many of the sayings of the Old Testament. However the stories are predominantly folk law and  don’t stand up to  scrutiny, the creation being a prime example. An interesting read though.

OK Oz,  I'll say no more. X

Jill, I like that quote that your father kept.. and, as you say, it is very true.

• Like 1

I love 'em too and really wish I'd been able to seen them live when there was more than one left.  I'm forever asking Alexa to play The BeeGees!

I do have a bit of a connection with a couple of them though.  Years ago our first laptop originally belonged to Maurice Gibb .......absolutely true!  We had a place in the Bahamas and the bar we used regularly when over there was owned by a really good friend of Maurice's and he'd been given a laptop by Maurice but didn't need it so sold it to us.  Then one time we were on the same BA flight from Miami to Heathrow as Robin Gibb and when he arrived into the airport lounge he sat chatting to us before the flight.  A lovely man, so laid back and 'normal',  and of course both BeeGees are sadly gone.   

• Like 1

I saw the BeeGees at the Beachcomber club when they had 'New York Mining Disaster' in the charts.  They were OK but I wasn't knocked out.  I quite liked their 1960s hits... but they were not near the top of my list.  In all honesty I hated their squeaky falsetto stuff from the 70s... but musical taste is a ery personal thing.

I can't comment on them as people, as I didn't know them. 

• Like 1

I like the Bee Gees more than I would ever have expected.

In the 60s they were very experimental, psychedelic and unusual. I have all their early albums on extended CDs and they were way ahead of their time, being Sgt Pepper-ish before that album had been recorded.

And I like their 70s material, even though I'm the last person you would've found in a disco.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

In all honesty I hated their squeaky falsetto stuff from the 70s

So did I. I really could not listen to them but weirdly enough Massachusetts, posted above, is one of my all time favourites. Strange isn't it.

All my Locarno friends jived the same way.  It meant you could dance well with any of them which was good.  Do you remember some  boy  jiving with 2 girls at the same time?  That worked as well.

• Like 1

I think most of our generation Jive very similar Margie.....Bev modified me..lol...never Jived with two girls at the same time...but always remember a Lad down Locarno who did...even recall his Name ''Lance'' small lad good looking and the best dancer i saw down there..it was him who beat me into second place both times in the contests..........

Edit  when we meet again at a meet up we'll have to have a jig...did two steps with Lizzie at Chulla's funeral........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Reckon we could ''Knock em Bandy'' Margie........

• Like 1

Probably could, ben, although I've been dancing more Northern Soul these last few months (been studying Youtube videos) as it's a bit less energetic than jiving with a chair!  

• Like 1