• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

lovely song....Joe did some good stuff......and he's almost local..........Sadly passed away aged 70 in America........

• Like 2

Nobody saying much today  !!!

So thought we'd have a bit of the great 'Rod Stewart''

Who doesn't 'Want to talk about it''...........

....And right back in the groove; a bit of Northern soul. 'Be young be foolish but be happy.'

All in the past now but today I'll welcome 'young at heart' and 'be happy' but will draw a line under 'be foolish'. Had a big enough dose of that when I was young. :wacko:

• Like 3

1967......Great year.......loved a special 'Brown eyed Girl''....

Do you remember when..we used to sing?''Sha la sha la sha la te dah.....As we walked along the shore..down Skeggy way....

• Like 2

it certainly wasn’t me Ben lol - I’m a blue eyed girl and I was already busy being a mum to my first baby in 1967…

• Like 2
On 6/24/2021 at 3:19 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Joe did some good stuff......and he's almost local..........Sadly passed away aged 70 in America........

And don't forget the lovely Jennifer Warnes' contribution to the song.  She's one of my favourite singers.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

....And right back in the groove; a bit of Northern soul. 'Be young be foolish but be happy.'

I love the song, and I even love the way that the 'Northern' crowd love 'their' music..., but when you think about it 'Northern Soul' is a peculiar beast.  It's not a musical 'genre'.  It's just a collection of tunes which support the highly stylised dance moves which were the core of 'Northern'.

I was playing the Tams earlier hit. 'Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me', and 'Be Young..' etc.. years before I ever heard the term 'Northern Soul'  It seems to me that 'Northern' hoovered up everything from our playlists that fit into their BPM (Beats Per Minute) preferences... which is why they seem to have avoided a lot of the 1960s Stax/Atlantic stuff..which was often slower and funkier.

But whatever.  Here are a few tunes 'off the top of my head', from my time just prior to the flowering of 'Northern'.  The Northern lot eem to have snaffled some, but ignored others.

Cookin!!  :laugh:

• Like 3

But today I have mostly been listening to Ray Charles.  Specifically his wonderful album 'Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music'.. in which he presented his own versions of country hits of the time.  Following on from his time with Atlantic records, where he recorded Jazz, Gospel, Blues, R&B etc.. this album set the tone for his 'breakout' from just being seen as a 'race' musician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Sounds_in_Country_and_Western_Music

But in pure musical terms..and being a sentimental old fart..I love the use of soaring strings and choruses, which, alongside Ray's amazing voice and range, make these ballads so listenable.

I was priveleged to see Ray live on two occasions.

Night!!  :)

Here's a curiosity...

UK folk group Prelude did this beautiful 'a capella' version of Neil Young's  'After the Goldrush' in Jan 1974. It charted at No. 21.  I bought the single and still have it somewhere.  But as far as I am concerned they got the lyrics wrong..singing 'in the nineteen seventeen' rather than Young's 'nineteen seventies'.

Here's Young's version from the album of the same title, which I also bought....and still have..

Prelude went through numerous personnel changes over the years but re-recorded the song in 1982, when it was a hit once more.  If I recall they got the lyrics right this time.. I can't find an upload of it, but found this 1984 live version.

'Trio'  (Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt) also did a very nice version.

Another early 70s album I still love is Paul Simon's solo effort 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon'.  Some lovely songs on it:

Lovely album.

• Like 1

And finally, Willow (above) reminded me of the first Bach piece to really 'grab' me.back in school...

Indeed. I have a few Paul Simon/S and G albums on vinyl. I also bought the S&G Box set CDs for Mrs Col. That has all their studio albums, plus assorted concerts etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Albums-Collection-Simon-Garfunkel/dp/B00N9LNNQA/ref=sr_1_2?crid=KBS33PCPLETB&dchild=1&keywords=simon+and+garfunkel+cd&qid=1625273271&s=music&sprefix=Simon+and+Garfunkel%2Caps%2C179&sr=1-2

Bit of Van..

He can be crazy..difficult, obtuse and even pig ignorant..

But when he gets it right.. he has no equal.

Is that Georgie Fame on keyboards?

I haven't heard that in probably 45-50 years. I had Pictures at an Exhibition when it was released and liked it, although I never had much time for any of their other albums. Too much technique and not enough music.

Listening to radio 2 playing chart from 1981: It's taking me back to when I was single & used to chase girls at disco's, especial Bestwood Welfare on a Sunday night, also Hucknall Welfare + Apollo & Horse & Jockey in Bulwell...

Picko, who I started out DJ ing with at the 360 etc..was later involved with Pulse Disco, which I believe was at Bestwood Welfare..though not sure of the dates as I wasn't in Nottm at the time.  I think 'Pulse' was to do with somebody called Steve Austin?

Hoping to have a holiday soon. 

To one of our favourite resorts. 

A summery song.

There'll be a chip shop, a posh-ish restaurant and an ice cream kiosk and some boats coming and going, plus a promenade for daily excercise. And of course sunshine. 

• Like 2