• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Can't beat a bit of ''Doot'n do doo'' 

Love how there's a song for nearly every girl's name....

Still see 'Angela' now and again in Bulwell.......still a looker..

''Doot'n doo do' 

• Like 2

i don't even know if I heard this when it came out.  I was 7.. I also don't think it charted in the UK..

But it is perfect.

• Like 1

I was seven too DJ360. Don't think i've ever heard the song and certainly not heard of The Penguins before.

I must admit that Doo-Wop is not one of the musical genres that I listen to often.

If you were lucky enough to have a job and a few Pennies....the 20s would have been a great time to be around............

Loved the ladies styles of dress...loved the music but to have bumped into a Dorothy on the dance floor..would have been a bit special.........

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I was seven too DJ360. Don't think i've ever heard the song and certainly not heard of The Penguins before.

I must admit that Doo-Wop is not one of the musical genres that I listen to often.

Earth Angel was issued in the UK, on the London label, with the triangular centre and the Gold print..which I have never seen.  I can't find out how many copies were produced.. but it is one of the rarest UK singles in existence..especially in anything approaching mint condition.  See this auction in 2009 which raised £1800.

https://www.popsike.com/The-Penguins-7-Single-Earth-Angel-London-Record-Label/250499618907.html

It was copied by Canadian white group the Crew-Cuts, who also did a version of another early classic.  'Sh-Boom'.. by The Chords.

I do have a soft spot for Doo-Wop.. for a number of reasons. I like the best of it.. though the quality varies hugely, because it was largely an amateur 'street corner' type of music. 

I also like the 'rock family trees' aspect of it.  For example, Wilson Pickett and the brother of Four Tops lead Levi Stubbs, both featured in the Falcons..who did a song called 'So Fine'.

Harvey Fuqua was the nephew of Charlie Fuqua.. a member of the 1940s harmony group The Ink Spots.  Harvey went on to front 'Harvey and the Moonglows', who had a few hits including the seminal 1954 hit 'Sincerely'.  Later, Marvin Gaye joined the Moonglows in his pre-Motown days.

This para: from Harvey's Wiki entry tells more:

"Fuqua left the Moonglows when Leonard Chess suggested that he join Anna Records in Detroit.[1] At Anna Records, Fuqua began working with Anna Gordy, Billy Davis, Lamont Dozier and Johnny Bristol.[1] He also introduced Marvin Gaye to Anna's brother, Berry Gordy, and married their sister Gwen Gordy.[3] In 1961, he started his own labels, Tri-Phi Records and Harvey Records, whose acts included the Spinners, Junior Walker and Shorty Long.[1] However, tiring of running a small independent label, Fuqua welcomed the opportunity to work at Motown; he was hired to head the label's Artist Development department and also worked as a producer for the company.[1] Fuqua brought the Spinners and Johnny Bristol to Motown and co-produced several hits for Bristol.[1] He was also responsible for bringing Tammi Terrell to the label and for suggesting and producing her duets with Marvin Gaye, including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Your Precious Love". In 1962, with the Five Quails, Fuqua had a minor hit with "Been a Long Time". "

That sort of stuff fascinates me.  And of course Do-Wop was one of many influences which coalesced, along with blues, R&B, country etc.. etc.. to lead to pop and rock music as we later knew it.

And of course Doo-Wop itself developed into some very fine performances such as 'Since I Don't Have You' by the Skyliners, and 'I Only Have Eyes For You', by the Flamingos, who went on later to score a massive soul/dance hit with Boogaloo Party.

I enjoyed that!!

• Like 2

Not played much but this Roy Orbison song is a stunner . Written by Jeff Lynn.

However , after playing it , found I was whistling the tune to myself and it sort of morphed into Nessun Dorma ! Maybe it's the strings on this version that make it sound similar ?

• Like 3

It's a great song David. I have it on the 'Mystery Girl' album.. (vinyl.. obviously..;)) but haven't heard the version with the RPO. Can't listen at present, but I will later.

• Like 1

Bit quiet again....must be time for a ''Brown Eyed Girl''

Making love in the green grass''

Sha la la la la la la la Dee da Dee dah la dee dah...........

High energy stuff from Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Basically a medley of a trad. blues.. C.C.Rider, and Jenny Jenny..which I think is a Little Richard composition.

I think this one is better.  Devil With a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly.

Played this a lot 'dahn the three sixteh..' :)

Very 'derivative' stuff but good fun... and as one Youtube comment says.. 'If this doesn't make you move..you're dead'.

• Like 1

And couple here here for Dusty Hill.. of ZZ top.. who sadly passed away a few days ago.

Rock on!!!

• Like 2

Here's an interesting one.  I ended up having a very severe dislike for Terry Scott, but this one was funny....

Later. Scott revealed his true nature..  I recall hm on some panel show.. where Mick Jagger also featured.  Scott came across as a pompous reactionary bigot, and especially persisted in attacking Jagger for being in a hotel, wrecking the place, etc.  Mick Jagger listened quietly..took all the flak and then responded.  'Absolutely unforgiveable behaviour Terry.. But it wasn't us...'  He reduced Scott to the idiot he was.. with a few words.

On the other hand...

This last one surprised me.  I'd only heard the record of Benny Hill's 'Garden of Love'.. so it was a delight to see him performing it with a suitably unimpressed Aussie star.. the late Patsy Ann 'Trish' Noble.

• Like 2

DJ360, I never enjoyed any of Terry Scott's stuff he was just not funny. Tommy Cooper on the other hand was just brilliant. Wish there was someone around today like him and Benny Hill. Who can forget Ernie.

Bernard Cribbins did some funny comic songs, Hole in the Ground and Right Said Fred, to name a couple. Still with us aged 92

• Like 1

I am so proud of my grandson who has just had his first out door gig, If you like Rock music then take a look at the THRASONICS they payed at Pentrich Derbyshire last weekend. BRILLANT!!

They are on utube some were?

• Like 1

I loved both Cliff and  Elvis, but I was especially fond of the Everley Brothers.  The  waltzers to me are always associated with Paul Anka’s Diana

The fairgrpound music did slowly catch up with the charts, but the first one I definitely recall from Goose Fair in the early 60s was:

I couldn't resist the vid with usual loony American dancers....

I heard these two on one memorable visit to Basford Wakes.. in the field (can't remember the name of it.. around 1965:

And:

Thanks Oz you have just taken me back to the 60s, walking onto Basford Wakes with all the flashing lights and Johnny and the Hurricanes blasting out on the waltzer , what memories.

• Like 1

Yes Trogg, the Goose Fair with the smell of the diesel generators, the brandy snaps and the fried onions for the hot dogs and hamburgers.

I claim my $100 pound prize for the first mention of the Goose Fair, Is it likely to go ahead this year?

• Like 1