Just a couple of originals which inspired the Beatles.

Arthur Alexander was a very successful songwriter.. and rather less successful singer,, but this is his version, of his song.. Anna. Incidentally.. also featured o the albu pictured is 'You Better Move On'.. a popular track by the Stones way back.

And this nice song, 'Devil in His Heart,' by US girl group the Donays, which the Beatles did as 'Devil in Her Heart' on 'With The Beatles'

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Very clever lyrics.

At sme point on their classic live album:  'At The Drop of a Hat'. they ask the audience'  'How is the sound..? 'Ok for quantity?'  'Afraid we can't do much about the quality..' Or similar.  Pure genius.

Leslie Gore. Really interesting lady. Born 1946. Died 2018.

One of those who made a lot of songs we have all heard, but maybe don't know who did them.

Made a good contribution to 1960s pop.

• Like 2

Summer holiday time......went to see this film with Sandra at the Elite..........sang and danced all the way home.......the late lovely Una looks good......

Don't think going away on holiday anytime soon.........just been Quoted £600 for a week in a Caravan in Skeggy.....''HONEST''

And abroad with its ever changing rules is a definate NO........

• Like 2

Ben, I'm pretty sure you would be able to get a nice holiday accommodation in Boolwull, possibly Crabtree on sea or perhaps Rise Park Mews. 

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Ben, I'm pretty sure you would be able to get a nice holiday accommodation in Boolwull, possibly Crabtree on sea or perhaps Rise Park Mews. 

Rise Park Mews?  How very dare you BK.  I don't care what the council says.. Rise Park is very firmly within the boundaries of Bestwood... as in ..the old hunting estate..

Boowul indeed....  :angry:

I only found out earlier that the lovely Nanci Griffith left us yesterday, at the young age of 68. No cause of death officially stated yet.. but she survived cancer twice earlier on.  A terrific singer and songwriter. I never saw her live but all of the UK folks I know who did so, said she was a warm and very human lady.

I have about 9 or 10 of her albums..and picking a favourite song is difficult, but 'Gulf Coast Highway', and 'Love at the Five and Dime', both show the side of Nanci which referred both humorously, and sentimentally to her view of small town America..filled with everyday people being people.

RIP Nanci.  Enjoy your Sweet Bluebonnet Spring.

More Nanci.  She deserves it.

No love for Nanci Griffith? :(

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

No love for Nanci Griffith? :(

Excellent singer in all respects, DJ, but for some reason I never encountered her work at the time. Busy life 70s and 80s.

I'm interested by your selection though and will catch up sometime tonight. Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Enigma. said:

I looked up the song to see what inspired it.….

the song was created after keyboardist Dave Greenfield sadly died in 2020.

JJ says of the meaning behind the track:

“Next thing I knew, Dave passed away. So I started writing about that… He was one of life’s innocents. So I thought it would be good to mark the point – ‘innocence has left this house, to wander among the stars, to light a path before us so we can see’. Just thought, that summed Dave up.”

A strange idea to me but it obviously meant something to the person who wrote it

3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Busy life 70s and 80s.

Same here.  I didn't really pick up on Nanci until the mid 90s.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, IAN FINN said:

Remember Mud Mud Glorious Mud

On 8/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, DJ360 said:

'Afraid we can't do much about the quality..' Or similar.  Pure genius.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

The Gas Man Cometh.

I really enjoy Flanders and Swan clever lyrics and tunes so many gems that become ear worms.

My favourites include The Hippopotamus Song and A Transport of Delight and The Gasman Cometh

Yes, Oz. There is the danger of earworms!  Mozart's horn concerto is still going round in my head.

However, it's worth it to see two very talented people enjoying that now endangered animal, The English Sense of Humour!

Used to love Dancing in a Bar with the 'Juke Box'' throbbing...

John Travolta does it brilliant.......without taking his 'Mac'' off.........