I mentioned the Merseybeats/Merseys in the Don Everly Obituary thread..which got me thinking about a few gorgeous songs they did way back..

Bowie.. eat your heart out....

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

'Do you Wanna Dance' ?

Must have asked this question all over Britain.....

Shortened to ''Dance Duck'' in Nottingham.............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t Chris Montez have a song with the same title or at least similar? Very often played at Goose Fair?

S.G, I think Chris Montez' version was called "Lets Dance", although I've been known to be wrong.  :victory:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Beekay said:

S.G, I think Chris Montez' version was called "Lets Dance", although I've been known to be wrong. 

You are right BK, often heard whilst on the Waltzer or Whiplash at the Goose Fair or during Wakes Week in many of the local towns. Along with many of Johnny and the Hurricanes hits like Rockin' Goose and Red River Rock.

• Like 1

Surprised there's no reference to the sad passing of Charlie, not even in the defunct obituary thread.

Tried to post a song on her from Youtube from the Alexis Korner tribute gig at the Palais..

No play unless you take the Google app!

They move fast....only cut browser download plug in's about 3 months ago.

IMonthly subscription??

@HSRCharlie has been remembered in another thread.

23 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Didn’t Chris Montez have a song with the same title or at least similar? Very often played at Goose Fair?

Bit of confusion going on here peeps. Do try to keep up! :laugh:

Do You Wanna Dance was an original written and recorded in 1958 by US singer Bobby Freeman, who was also known for 'Dance' songs, such as 'The Duck' (may explain Nottm confusion..;)) ,The Swim, etc.

Cliff Richard released it as a single in the UK in 1961.( It follows on from the Freeman version on Youtube).  I think it may also have featured in one of his films but not sure on that. The Beach Boys did a version later, as did Johnny Rivers.. and no doubt others. You can find the Bobby Freeman version on the soundtrack to American Graffitti.

'Let's Dance' is a totally different song and was a hit for Chris Montez in the UK in 1962, and a few more times on re-issue.  Montez also became known for his gently 'rocked up' versions of classics from the 'Great American Songbook', such as 'The More, I See You', 'There will Never Be Another You', 'Time After Time', 'Call Me' etc.

HSR. Is this what you meant?  Paul Jones (Manfed Mann/Blues Band) Dick Heckstall-Smith (Alexis Korner's Blues Inc. and many others) Charlie Watts (Stones) Ian Stewart. (Early Stones and many others.) Jimmy Page (No intro needed) Ruby Turner, etc.etc.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:22 AM, benjamin1945 said:

'Do you Wanna Dance' ?

Must have asked this question all over Britain.....

Shortened to ''Dance Duck'' in Nottingham...........

Mrs Col's Mum always told a tale about when of one her brothers approached a young lady for a dance in the 1940s, and got the very 'Scouse' response.  "Dance with me mate... I'm swettin".

• Like 1

Featuring Jack Bruce and Charlie Watts, and the late Cyril Davies who died of Leukaemia in Jan 1964.  Probably the greatest British 'Harp' player of all time...and a terrific vocalist too.

3 hours ago, HSR said:

No play unless you take the Google app!

They move fast....only cut browser download plug in's about 3 months ago.

IMonthly subscription??

Nope.  It's the way you hold your face....;)

Well it's 2.04 a.m and I've finally found my copy of the Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers'., so I can do a personal homage to old Charlie Watts.

Been meaning to sort out my vinyl into some sort of order for months.. but since I can't get down on my knees..or get up again if I do. .. grovelling in the shelves is not easy.  I also have a copy of 'Rolled Gold' somewhere.. which has most of the early singles etc... I'll have a look for that tomorrow. I never really followed the Stones much after 'Sticky Fingers'..and TBH I didn't really listen to their albums much before that..apart from the first two. A number of early Stones songs seem to be quite difficult to find on vinyl or CD.

• Like 2

I've just spent a happy couple of hours playing my Stones vinyl..  Sticky Fingers, and the 1970s compilation 'Rolled Gold'.  Good fun.  My main 'Stones thing' though is the awesome run of singles they had, from the first 'Come On'.. through to Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women.  Great stuff.

For me the greatest Stones LP is Goats Head Soup. I have it on the car player. I recall once a few years ago nipping into a the garage to pay for petrol leaving my youngest grandson aged 5 in his car seat with the LP playing. When I got back he was happily singing along to the chorus to the final track ‘Star’. It is rather rude.

My kind of Cat...........

Always wanted to share a ''Chaise Longue'' with Eartha and a bunch of Grapes.............

HSR. Is this what you meant,.

Yes, well attended, but amazingly far from maxed out.

Stew was the instigator, .. Colin Hodge' was bass, until Jack showed up..

There was one or two other gigs..not personel experience, just computer BS! ..

I’d forgotten these two songs!  Never realised when I was a teenager what they were actually about until now…. I just used to sing along …..

The first is obviously a light hearted comment about other songs of the time, and the second is a song of hope for justice and freedom everywhere.  We need more songs like that and subsequent action in these troubled times 

That's it now it's in me head :crazy:

Bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong :shout: