• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Am I missing something here? 

Mr Bass Man was originally a hit for Johnny Cymbal.

Worth reading this comment from Youtube.

John Hendry Blair ("Johnny Cymbal") was a Scottish-born American singer. He was 18 at this recording. He died of a heart attack in Mar. 1993, at only 48. The Bass Man's voice was Ronald Bright, then 24, the bass singer of The Valentines, The Cadillacs, and The Coasters doo-wop groups. He died on Nov. 26, 2015 at 77. Johnny Cymbal was not a stage name. He was adopted by his mom's second husband, Nick Cymbal.

So there you have it.  And frankly I have never rated Sha Na Na..who come slightly above Showaddywaddy in the list of poor copyists.

15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Am I missing something here?

Yes. I had a reminder from somewhere of 'Who Put The Bomp' and was minded to share it on NS, so I youtube searched it, listened to the 1st three that came up on my list and selected one that gave the most pronounced bass/snare rhythm as i perceived it on my audio setup, and I posted it as a 'good starter'. That led to an unexpected revelation about an 'earworm'. So I searched again as before this time for the similar 'Mr Bassman' for a version which had the stronger recorded bass voice as per my audio and posted that as an earworm antidote. A bit of fun really, not meant to be an assay of provenance of any song or singer, or even a personal choice of quality or preference as a recording.

That said, I'm still slowly working through your recommendations of Nanci Griffith's output and found some (imo) gems;

Gulf Coast Highway,

Trouble in the Field,

'This Old Town', and the serious but sweet

'From a Distance'. 

Loving the folkabilly style.

Meanwhile, I'll leave y'all with this Eartha Kitt jewel, sleep well:rolleyes:

• Like 2

In the early 70’s I used to go to the Albert Hall where they had bands on. I saw some great artists there, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Groundhogs, Curved Air. Numerous others. One supporting band (I can’t recall who they were supporting) was Sha Na Na. A strange choice for a rock concert. I recall they were pretty good but entirely the wrong venue for them and they didn’t go down very well.

7 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Meanwhile, I'll leave y'all with this Eartha Kitt jewel

Good one WW,who can forget her version of Santa Baby, or her portrayal as Catwoman. I'd not heard her take on Hurdy Gurdy Man before, the Donovan version was part of my youth.

12 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

In the early 70’s I used to go to the Albert Hall where they had bands on. I saw some great artists there, Wishbone Ash, 

I saw Wishbone Ash at the Albert Hall in 71. We were probably in the same place at the same time.

15 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

One supporting band (I can’t recall who they were supporting) was Sha Na Na. A strange choice for a rock concert. I recall they were pretty good but entirely the wrong venue for them and they didn’t go down very well.

That might have been the Woodstock effect, as they made their first major appearance there (They were on stage just before Hendrix.) so promoters here may have assumed they appealed to a rock audience. 

Off the back of the 'Zoot Money' thread.. I went seeking out stuff by Wynder K Frog, who had some success back in the 60s, mostly doing Hammond organ versions of popular tunes.  Some were hoovered up by the Northern Soul crowd.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:52 PM, letsavagoo said:

One supporting band (I can’t recall who they were supporting) was Sha Na Na. A strange choice for a rock concert. I recall they were pretty good but entirely the wrong venue for them and they didn’t go down very well.

I recall being a bit bemused by Sha Na Na when I first saw them in the 'Woodstock' film.  They seemed to be doing a doo wop revival.. but in a very odd way.  In the film I think they may have done version of 'Silhouettes' ..originally by. I think.. The Rays.  But why the silver suits?

The Rays

Sha Na Na..

I still don't get quite what Sha Na Na were up to.  Ironic?  Genuine revival? Who knows.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:39 PM, Willow wilson said:

Meanwhile, I'll leave y'all with this Eartha Kitt jewel, sleep well

I never had you down as a sadist....:biggrin:

Couple of oddities which I have on a rather worn single...which I thnk I got from my cousin Pete who lived opposite the long closed Black Horse on Coventry Road Boowul.

And the flip side:

And also from that immediate 'pre Beatle' era:

And a slightly less frenetic tune from Floyd Cramer, who featured on millions of country tunes at

the time..

1951.  I was 2. 

Still think Bill Haley and Elvis invented Rock and Roll?

• Like 1

Ben, for a minute, I thought you were singing,

"Over the mountains,

Over the sea,

That's where my heart is,

Waiting for me.

Please let the light that shines on me,

Shine on the one I love".

1967 was quite a year for me.........

Had a girlfriend who always wore an Orange coat and black hat...........but danced like a dream......Tiger Inn Long Eaton....upstairs........

• Like 2

An all time favourite......what a voice......

Both knew it was wrong........but met every day at the same Cafe;;;;;;;;;;;

Mrs Jones..Mrs Jones...Mrs Jones......

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Where was the Tiger Inn at Long Eaton ben?

Tamworth road Ian...........on the left going towards Sawley....

Girl with black hat and orange coat lived on Petersham estate.........